View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

I've done about 10 or so SCCA/NASA days so far in East Rutherford. Let me know if you go, I'll be more inclined to take mine out and run. I didn't go this year or last because of the move and the kid, but I need to take it out at least once before the end of the year.

Clean the car out like you said, bring a roll of painters tape to write your class and car number on either side, bring a helmet and bring water and snacks.

The thing about autocross is its more driver than car since classes are pretty strict. You'll probably end up in one of the CAM classes anyway, so the likelihood of you being competitive on your first go is close to nil. Don't be discouraged by that. I'm not competitive either and I've done this numerous times. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS WALKING THE COURSE FIRST. AS A MATTER OF FACT, WALK THE COURSE THREE TIMES. GET THERE EARLY AND WALK THE COURSE! You won't have GPS, you need to anticipate each corner, and you need to do it real time while trying to place the car around a tiny cone. You may get lost on the course and the OGs (especially at SCCA) will get annoyed since that halts runs. I know it's lame, but I like to walk the course pretending I have a steering wheel in my hands and walk the course how I want to place the car, apexing and all. It helps me remember the course better. I still forget the course once in a while, but no where near as bad as my first time. Oh, and take your first run at 70-80% only so you have more time to focus on the course instead of times.

Last, I've driven a road course, I've drag raced, and I've autocrossed. To me, autocrossing is the most fun. Yes, you only race about 5-6 minutes in total for an entire day event. Yes, you have to work cone duty for hours. But, you get to go 100% without worrying about destroying your rear axle or spinning into a wall.

And don't be surprised that you are losing to Miatas, Civics and Focuses. That's just how it is.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote