View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
V
Stalker

'05 CTS-V Custom Supercharger Install

I have finally started on the install of a centrifugal supercharger on my 2005 CTS-V.

The ONLY supercharger kits available for my car is a top mounted magnacharger which costs $5,500+. Therefore, I decided to do it my own way...

The kit I bought was a used LS1 F-body Powerdyne Scorpion XB1A setup. Most people love to hate on the powerdyne units and mostly because of the failure of the internal belt drive design. However, the XB1a is one of the last models they made before going under and uses a gear drive internals. This particular head unit also came with a ported impeller for better performance.

As I progress with this build I will Update and add pictures and information.

Just for those wondering later on when looking at the pics, all the radiator stuff and other components will be replaced with different size aftermarket ones and moved forward to make the room required. I have it planned out, don't worry.

So far, I have removed the front bumper, air box, cooling fans, radiator, and a/c condenser. I put the f-body mounting bracket in place on the engine and it will bolt up and hold the blower unit, but due to a 1/2" difference in the cts-v alternator bracket vs. the f-body one, the heads of the bolts that mount the blower will hit the alternator pulley. One option was to try to mount an f-body alt and bracket, but the belt sits at a different depth on the 2 cars so that's a pain. I just decided to fabricate a new mounting bracket for the blower itself that moved it 1/2" over to clear the alternator pulley. I measured the stock plate which was 3/8" think aluminum and ordered up a plate slightly larger that I will be cutting out once I have the final shape design. I went with a 6061 aluminum alloy for strength and corrosion resistance. I also had to get/make new spacers to mount the bracket to the engine side. I measured to f-body ones and they were 1" diameter with 7/16" holes in the center. I then ordered a foot of 1" diameter rod of 7075 aluminum alloy(aircraft grade). I will measure the length I need for the spacers and cut them off the rod and drill a center hole.

Here are some random pictures so far...

Last edited by V; 04-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote