View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #67
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaro93 View Post
Ok think I got the gist of what your asking. You can do it either way. You can fill right over bare metal but for long term projects leaving the metal open creates opportunity surface rust and other contaminates. Dp90 is a great product and what I would use if I was stripping a car down. Epoxy prime pretty much seals off the metal and create a great corrosion resistant base. You CAN do body work over dried dp. I would sand areas to be filled with 100grit. Then do your filler process. They you can spot hit any bare areas with dp or just prime with a direct to metal primer surfacer. Then sand and paint. If this is going to be a show car you could do the extra step and polyester prime the whole car and block all that down for paint.. then you seal and lay color then clear... hope this answers your question
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaro93 View Post
Went back and read what I wrote.. you need to use a primer surfacer over any body work before you paint. The primer will have to be blocked and wet sanded smooth for paint
Thanks so much!

The whole car is in two coats of DP90 right now, and I've got a gallon of K38 high build surfacer on the shelf ready to go as a next step after filler and metalwork.

Thankfully I don't have any panel replacement to do but there is some filler that will need to go on. I plan on scuffing the current epoxy layer, then spot spray the area with fresh epoxy (as per PPG) and apply the Rage Gold once it's ready. Do you recommend re-epoxying over the filler before spraying surfacer on?

Last edited by WildBillyT; 11-03-2017 at 01:31 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote