Thread: 1971 Firebird
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #45
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Could just be a different style/make/manufacturer of adjustment nut. Does the adjustment nut look the same as all the others or is it physically different? Does the top of the rocker arm stud look to be at the same height as all the others?

Not trying to scare you, but that looks out of place at first glance. All the other rocker arms have maybe 2, 3, or 4 threads sticking out past the top of the adjustment nut, but that one rocker looks to be sticking well beyond the top of the adjustment nut.

Now that I look more closely, it appears that the top of that rocker stud is not threaded all the way to the top, so it could just be a different type rocker stud/adjustment nut combo on that one cylinder compared to the others.

It might be worth checking the adjustment on that cylinder once its up and running again.

Good luck and like other have said, pictures, baggies and an assembly manual go a long way. Another tip from personal experience, the fewer hands involved in disassembly the better. Chances are if you take it apart yourself, you'll have a better shot of knowing how it goes back together and will know which fasteners go where.

And don't throw anything out, no matter how bad a shape it is in. Often times the orginal part will fit waaaay better then the reproduction ever could. Case in point, on my 70 Nova I mistakenly got rid of my bumpers, because they were i poor shape (not bent, just really bad chrome and some serious digs) Turns out I would have been $$$ ahead and a whole lot less frustrated had I kept them and got them restored versus buying reproduction bumpers. I had to buy 3 front (yes 3 different front bumpers) before I found 1 that fit the car half way decent (and its still not perfect). Just because someone offers a repro part is no guarantee that it will fit, much less look good.

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote