View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
V
Stalker

Steering components are basically all off the car, only the column itself and the gear box remain. Getting the center link off from the pitman arm was a pain. Also ripped out the intermediate steering shaft since it had a torn boot and more play than I'd like. I just ordered a modified astro van shaft for it and all the other MOOG steering components will be here wed/thurs. That should all take care of the wandering steering.

Now for the brakes... They looked pretty decent in terms of rotor wear and brake pad life. My biggest complaint was that it would pull to the side at first upon braking. So I ordered new front rubber brake hoses. Swelling of the old hoses could be causing the uneven braking.

My secondary complaint was that it seemed like one, or both, front brakes were almost always dragging somewhat. With the car sitting for a while without brakes having been applied, the wheels turn fine but I can hear the pad dragging on the rotor more than I feel it should. I have not noticed any excessive heat build up though whenever I'd drive the car. After doing some more reading online, bad rubber lines could also be a cause of this and not allowing the caliper to open fast enough or fully. So after I put the new lines on this week, I'll have to address this issue again to see if it goes away. I also figure I'll pop the calipers off after I do the hoses and clean and re-grease the caliper guide pins to make sure thats not the reason.

Last edited by V; 07-03-2017 at 07:25 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote