View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #28
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I've made a few tweaks to the car recently and had the car retuned at RPM in DE to see the results. I had them do a baseline but unfortunately the information wasn't usable since the car was "spinning its ass off on the dyno". Perhaps it was strapped down loosely but they were confident they had enough tricks to make it hook up when they did the final tune.

While I was surprised peak RWHP nudged only slightly on the top end, midrange power and torque saw a very significant jump. Peak torque is up almost 50 from the previous trip to the dyno. While I would have liked to see those peak numbers rise for internet fame, I think the gains will make a significant difference on the track with a car as heavy as this. The A/F is much improved over the last tune as well which is nice.

RPM believes the LT1 intake may be the restriction. They don't think its the heads since they flow comparable to a good set of ported LS1 units. They even pulled the air filter off the inlet to the head unit to see what would happen and it lost power. Go figure. I will probably ask Lloyd Elliot his thoughts since he would have a better handle on the power capability of my top end.

Since boost is beyond the capabilities of the MAF, the car was tuned in SD. Throttle response is much improved and overall driveability is just better in general. I think the MAF tune could have used some tweaking but the car drove fine, now it just drives more like a "normal" car. Acceleration is quick and smooth and the transition to PE is pretty seamless. I got stuck in some stop and go traffic on the NJ Tpk coming home with it yesterday from DE and I could putter away from 1k rpms in gear without any fuss. So far, I'm a fan of SD tuning.

New Numbers

SAE - 697.55 RWHP / 651.27 RWTQ
Uncorrected - 710.34 RWHP / 661.82 RWTQ

Tweaks from original setup:
- FMIC
- Dual meth nozzle setup
- Smaller supercharger pulley
- Revised supercharger inlet

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax