View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Car accelerates/maintains speed on its own

Car is a 1988 Trans am AGT, 350 TPI automatic transmission.

All stock afaik. No bolt-ons, not sure if stock block though. I was told it was rebuilt previously.

Well, the car accelerates/maintains speed on its own when cruising. If I'm doing around 20 and let off the gas and brake, the car will slowly increase speed up to maybe 30 or so before I need to apply the brakes. It's not a sudden thing, just slow and gradual. Throttle cable and blade are not sticking.

So today, I did check and readjust the TPS since I was reading that a bad one could cause the issue I'm having. Initially, it was reading 4.22V at WOT and 0.680 at idle. It seems that the 0.680 is just above the recommended range for the setting at idle. I reset the TPS to 0.540 at idle and I get 4.10V at WOT.
However, I have yet to see if this makes any difference. This morning I ripped out all the steering linkage getting ready to fix all that so obviously I can't drive the car yet.

I wanted to see if anyone had any additional input on this or if they think that slight adjustment would remedy the issue.

Last edited by V; 07-03-2017 at 09:00 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote