Thread: Not this again.
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #1412
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Not likely that you wiped them out. Not sure I get you on the leakdown test, when you did it last did you have the pushrods installed? Is the cam on the base circle?

If the pushrods are slightly too long but the lifters aren't completely filled with oil, the lifter cup will be 'springy' and take up the excess pushrod length. Once the lifters are full of oil, they'll show the effects of the too-long pushrod because the lifter cup is supported by the hydraulic pressure of the oil in the lifter.

If you're saying that you bolted down the rockers on a cylinder, *and* the cam is on the base circle (meaning both valves closed) and the air is blowing out of the intake and exhaust ports, then the pushrods are too long which is keeping the valves open.

If you remove the rockers from that cylinder that is losing air from both the intake and exhaust and it continues to lose air there, then those valves aren't seating. Not sure what cam you're running or what's been done to the heads but maybe not enough piston to valve clearance, leading to bent valves?
I never did a leak down on this particular cyl. I only did the cyl 1 & 2. Got the same results so moved on. Both Cyl 1 & 2 lifters has spring to them. This cyl lifter had no spring to it. So when bolted down there was no “absorbing” the extra length. With the pushrods in and rockers bolted down, the leakdown test had air coming out the intake and exhaust. With the pushrods out, the leak down test passes.
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote