View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
6 month update required
I drive it every day and get 8 mpg to/from work

I haven't done anything to it except change the fluids and clean the windows since I took the Firebird apart. Since I have bought it I have put almost 13,000 miles on it!

I will be starting on the 4wd conversion once I finish the car though, so expect to see some updates on the Burb soon. I will be ordering the front leaf spring brackets, rear axle brackets and shocks in the next week or so, then I can start getting the frame ready. I will need to remove the radiator support brackets from the frame I have, add the body mounts I have gotten from another suburban frame and add the rear 19" of suburban frame to the truck frame, plus cut the holes for the front shackle hangars and remove the old provisions for the parking brake to change the 2wd rear leaf frame to a K frame. I will also need to put the guts from the 14 bolt FF that came in the K30 I parted into the new housing I bought, the "old" axle is rotted to crap around the spring mounts. The GM spring mounts have the U bolt come from the top and the plate is stamped and water/crap sits in there and rots the bracket and housing away. I will be flipping the U bolts so they point upwards on this new housing. I will also be buying some 32" tires, but I haven't decided on stock 67-72 K height suspension, or a 2" lift. I think I will gain about 1" of height over a stock K10/20 since the axles I have are from a 30, so the tubes are bigger diameter. I have the front springs from the 88 K30, but they are longer than springs from a 67-72, so I am not sure whether they will work in the B52 mounts I am buying from DIY4x. I will have to see once I have parts and things mounted on the frame.

Last edited by PolarBear; 05-10-2017 at 01:41 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote