View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #251
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

The Bird is all buttoned up and I got her home yesterday.

For those that aren't aware, I had Larry at 2nd Gen Engineering in Hackettstown handle the install. Larry was meticulous with his work while providing great communication along the way. The communication goes a long was as I'm all about knowing what's going on, when it will happen and setting of expectations. Unlike other shop experiences, I honestly didn't sit and wonder, "Hey, what's going on with my car???". I knew Larry was plugging away and coddled me with texts/emails with images while letting me know what was worked on and the next hurdle. Simply put, if you need fbody work done give him a call.

Like most things aftermarket, the time it takes to install is never quite as planned unless it's been done before. I'm likely one of only a few idiots spending the money and opting to use a LS-style T56 with an old LTx engine combo. But aren't all T56's pretty similar? Sure but with this combo, the trans essentially ends up being about 1.5" longer.

This required all the following modifications:

- Shorten driveshaft
- Modifications to trans tunnel opening (trimming rear section and adding metal up front)
- Cross member modification/fabrication since holes wouldn't line up with under-body threads
- Revised trans pump fitting setup to fit within the tunnel
- New hard-line for clutch slave with quick disconnect
- Clearance Quicktime bellhousing a little to clear starter housing
- Modify motor plate to clear starter housing and oil pan flange
- Run new slave bleed line
- New driveshaft slip yoke - Also bought new 1350 joints as well

Larry indicated nothing was particularly hard but it's all the little details that will make it work properly.

The only real issue was receiving the wrong clutch from Monster. Despite all attempts to make certain the clutch was ordered properly, the clutch arrived with a flywheel meant for a LS but with a LTx bolt pattern..... I didn't bother checking although it crossed my mind to do so but it happens. Monster handled the situation and sent Larry a FedEx overnight label to get it back to them. Unfortunately the new clutch took longer to receive than expected but Larry used the wait time to work on the other items needed to get everything ready for the final install. I'm sure I tied up his lift for a few days more than it should but again, Larry was accommodating.

On to some pics.

Well crap....

Dat hardline - Larry did this as he wasn't liking how the soft line was getting a bit sideloaded. The remote bleeder was run nicely and "snaps" into the plastic slave reservoir. Almost like it belongs there.

That's better - Larry was also kind enough to plan for the future if I decide to embrace the LSx life. There are bolt holes in the crossmember so if things move forward, it will still work. The metal plate added to the shifter area uses the original bolt holes so again, if things change and move forward down the road, I'm halfway there...

Motorplate - Post clearance (Seems familiar ehh Brandon and Adam??)

Old pilot bearing didn't want to cooperate - Larry indicated after two pullers and saw blades, he resorted to a carbide burr. Before I got concerned, he provided me with pictures of the clean crank bore after pilot bearing removal.

Clutch time!

Trans pump wiring had seen some heat but just the outside loom was crispy - Larry heat wrapped everything and tucked it out of the way.

New fitting for trans pump (added a 90)

Now the trans

I took the car for a ride with Larry before taking delivery and everything drove nicely. The clutch pedal is actually a little lighter than my old McLeod Street Twin which was already pretty good for its power handling capabilities. The clutch engagement is a bit lower but very progressive. It will take a little getting used to as I've been driving high engagement clutches most of my life. The trans shifted very smoothly and it definitely likes RPM. My old trans was typically notchy but I learned to think that was kind of normal after a while. It was oddly refreshing to have a trans that would just act "normal". It was exciting but uneventful if that makes any sense. The shorter 5th gear ratio was also nice to keep some rpm at non-highway speed but not feeling like you are lugging anything.

I couldn't give Larry a proper ride as any WOT boost would light up the all season 275 tires. The CCWs with the R888s will go back on so she can hook up better on the street.

So that ends this chapter, hopefully for a long time as my wallet is having a funeral service this weekend. It will be a closed casket affair. I'm going to get her cleaned up, toss on the pretty wheels and after everything is confirmed to still cooperate after some miles, she will get her ass kicked at the track rental in the fall. I'm guessing I'm running out of excuses for this car not running a number eh??

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote