Thread: "Engineers"
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
So my Hellcat has a couple relatively minor but annoying issues I wanted the dealer to resolve. Since I have installed a new aluminum driveshaft, I was a bit fearful of going to the wrong dealer and getting flagged. At the recommendation of a fellow HC owner, I contacted a dealer in North NJ to see if they would play ball. I spoke to the service writer and he seemed to be speaking the right language. He even went as far to mention they have 305mm MT DR's in stock.

The 1st issue I've been chasing for a bit is vibration at highway speed around 55-65mph. I get a slight shimmy in the wheel and you can feel it in the car a touch. The car did this when new and I ended up having all 4 Pirelli's replaced under warranty. The process was annoying but we got it done. The shimmy was gone but after a few thousand miles, it's back.

The 2nd is a whine from the rear differential at very light throttle between 50-65mph. Other HC owners report this issue as well and while no one has reported breaking one for just a whine, I wanted to get it addressed.

The tech looked like a competent guy and I was surprised to hear he owned a HC as well. No f***s were given regarding the DS so that was nice too. I drove the car and re-created the symptoms. They spoke to the SRT "Engineers" and here are the solutions.

Rear - Replace the diff fluid. OK but likely a band aid. I assume the lash is off a touch and the new fluid will mask it until it comes back.

Tires - The SRT engineers recommend.....unbolting all 4 wheels, rotating them 180 degrees and bolting them back on the car..... I made a confused face when the service writer mentioned this to me and he agreed it sounded odd. I did mention how can a 5 lug wheel be rotated 180 degrees. I cannot fathom what this will do but I will play along for now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and will see how this plays out. They didn't have the rear fluid in stock so I will need to make another appt to get all of the "work" done.
I find this interesting...

I've heard of matching tires on the wheels for excessive roadforce, but never unbolting wheels/bolting back on.

Also, the rear fluid exchange... our V's (V2/V3) with a rear noise, a fluid change fixes it for a little while. Ultimately it needs a new diff. we don't rebuild the V diff while the escalade/SRX/everything else gets rebuilt in-house.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote