View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #23
firebirdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
You are going with a T56, so I don't know of anything down that road, but the issues I have are gauges and exhaust.
1: You have two ways to go about doing the gauges. One is to get a box that converts the electrical signal from the output to mechanical so you can connect it to the back of the tach. The other is to go to a digital tach. How you do that is entirely up to you. Maybe see if you can buy a dash from a later TA so you can use the electric tach. I picked up an Auto Meter one that looks similar to the factory Camaro face.
2: I'm not familiar with your headers, but if they are long tube units, you might run into y-pipe issues. I've seen some crazy ram's horn-esque designs for y-pipes.

Also: Fuel system. I'm not sure of the LM7, but LS1s don't have a return line and since the pressure is regulated differently from cars to trucks, you might have to go with an in-line AFPR or do what I did and put in a C5 Corvette fuel filter that self-regulates and does not have a fuel return line.
If using the factory fuel tank, upgrade the pump. If you decide to go to an 4th gen unit, there are several modifications you have to make to get it all to work. I went with the factory tank and upgraded the pump.
From my understanding and research the headers are the same as the stainless works units just not as expensive and not as great quality; but ill find out in the long run with them i guess. The y-pipe is going to be ball-buster, Ive looked on thirdgen.org and everyone has done it differently so I'm not sure which way that's going to go.

As for the intake i would like to get my hand on an LS6 intake but it all depends on price and availability otherwise its going to be a ye olde LS1 intake. And as for the fuel tank, upgrading it to a 1985-1992 sending unit(as long as there's no other unforeseen complications from it) and i think i am going to invest in the racetronix unit. What pump did you end up using? I already have the C5 filter so no AFPR unit for me i believe

Tachometer is another debacle, i would love to keep the factory one but that box is a 300 dollar piece, whereas a tach would probably be less.