View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicbird00 View Post
heres my 2 cents and i agree w/ Rob

1. if you want to run at the track and be legal, you need a 10 point

2. if you dont want to put the safety equipment in it then dont race at the track

I have a 6point bar and i feel way safer in the car over a stock production car

you cant say "if you have a bar or cage its worse in an accident" you say "said person" died because they hit their head on the bar, there are always freak accidents

some people are alive today from wearing belts and theres people alive today from not wearing belts

and Bonzo, if you want to go faster on the road course you dont need to add power, add better brakes and tires and seat time. power is the last thing you do to go faster

-brandon

flame suit on
No suit needed. I agree 100%. The idea of adding more power is what led my thinking down a particular path, all of which you touched on. The nut behind the wheel needs to be tightened.

My point is really mitigating risk - staying safe in the the 80%. I tend to think in the old 80/20 rule. You can't anticipate freak stuff, etc. - that's the 20%. I do not see where a cage (not a 4 or 6 pt) in the street is a good idea because IMO you've now added risk in situations that fall in the to the 80% category. I think adding a cage increases the likely hood of injury in more instances than helps in routine street driving. Which to me is very often under 50mph.

When does a cage help on the street? A rollover? If you rollover a car in the street I suspect you will have more of a chance of making contact than most regular accidents, not less - unless you have your harness & HANS on. So does the cage help in the 20%? Maybe, maybe not. Might it negatively impact crumble zones so the car does not absorb energy the way it is designed to? I don't know, I'm not really educated on it. But I know they talk about energy dissipation when indy cars disintegrate.

There are way more people alive today because of wearing seat belts than not. There are cases that a belt may have been problematic, but I think those cases are outliers and cannot be used in a logical discussion. Belts help in the 80% bucket (although I bet in the cases of belts it more like 99%)

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote