View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Dash-Cam suggestions for racing and street driving?

Was not sure what section of the forum to put this in, but here seemed appropriate.

I am starting to look into onboard Dash-Cameras for the camaro. I do currently have a GoPro Hero4 Silver that I have used for years, but I don't always want to have that running when I am just driving around anymore. Mostly because I kinda want to use the GoPro camera to film different/creative angles of the car while I am racing or driving, so having an independent semi-permanent forward facing dash-cam might be better. Budget is of concern here, and the most I would feel comfortable spending would be $200-250. I do NOT need one with built in GPS. The dash-cam would be something I would simply wire up to the car's 12volt power source. I would NOT want to plug it into a cigarette lighter or have to plug it into anything; so permanently hard wired is a must have.
I would basically turn on the camera to record if I knew I was going out and driving in a heavy traffic area, or on a fun exciting scenic drive. I would also certainly use it for drag racing, autocross, and any other racing events. However, mostly just the fear of a random deer running into the road or a distracted/bad driver crashing into me certainly weighs on my mind as I am driving around New Jersey. Having a dash camera would help me in any such unfortunate incident and the footage wouldn't lie. Some types of cameras can even pre-record 15-30 seconds before being actually activated, so something with a feature that would be a worthy investment.
I don't think I would want a camera with a LCD display screen on the back, because there won't be a need for me to playback video footage right away when I could just simply save it to a computer and play it later. I plan to hide the camera behind the windshield's rear-view mirror out of my eyesight (and keep it there always), so I wouldn't be able to view the display screen anyways. I also would not be interested in a camera with an additional lens that faces rearward.

Therefore, small lens, black, compact overall size, good memory storage, a way to hard wire it to the battery(fuse panel) and a pre-record feature are of high importance.

Of NO importance is a GPS feature, speech-activation, wi-fi connection to a phone, a rear facing camera, lane-detection type features nor a viewable display screen.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I am looking for real-world, hands-on, typical user feedback, not the stuff written by authors in magazine journals, but I did brows through some of those prior to writing this post:
https://www.thedashcamstore.com/dash...r-motorsports/
https://www.eyewitnessdashcams.com/b...or-track-days/
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/b.../best-dash-cam

Last edited by IROCZman15; 01-05-2021 at 09:23 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote