Thread: NACA Scoop
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Install scoop where trap door would go!

The above is partially serious but you really need to get a wind speed meter to test different spots within the interior to see where the "high pressure" zones are. Otherwise you are punching a hole somewhere and it may not be in the right spot. I can likely borrow one from work if you want to do some half-ass engineering sometime. I'd think the rear deck before you get into the rear hatch/trunk area would like be a good spot. A scoop or two installed there with an exit in the bottom of the trunk would provide a reasonable path for air while avoiding issues of bringing exhaust fumes into the cabin. If you are very concerned, install a flap with a spring at the exit. When sitting still, exit is closed, at speed with some air flow/pressure, it's open. You'd have to figure out the right spring tension of course.
The trunk floor pan is something I have given thought too, but again worry about drafting fumes. If ass of car is like boats, running a genset on back deck of boat even underway will kill owners.

And Chris, its not getting air into the cabin, its getting air out of the cabin.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote