View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Paul Huryk

I have some relevant experience and will give you my opinion.

450hp out of a 350 Gen 1 entails spinning the motor to a 6000rpm (or a bit more). I have a 400hp 350 at it peaks at 5500-5600 rpm.

There are two issues you have in terms of power:

1) Is the motor going to hold together at 450hp and 6000rpm+ (it probably will, but stuff happens)?

2) Will your choice of parts allow the motor to make both the power you want and be of high volumetric efficiency?

With an aftermarket TPI replacement manifold (vintage or new), 450ho is not a problem if the other parts are correctly matched.

But I've never heard of a stock TPI intake even cracking 350hp, let alone 400 or more. It comes down to the long runner design that boosts low RPM TQ at the expense of high rpm HP. No stock TPI motor makes its peak past 4500rpm, even the less intake limited 305.

In terms of parts, Comp Cams will make a cam to get you where you want, and RHS probably has a set of heads that will work too. But I would suggest just ditching the OEM TPI style and go right for a TPIS miniram - which is meant for high rpm hp. About $1,500 with the fuel rails and a new TB.

The last issue (and an important one) is the tuning of the computer for maximum power and streetability. TPI had an ancient computer with limited ability to change parameters, early ones (85 to 87 I believe) are way worse than the last few MAF ones. You can get a reprogrammed PROM, but it usually takes a few updates to get it optimal - it is not 1/100th as easy or comprehensive as late model OBDII cars to do.