View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
HardcoreZ28

I decided I wanted an ultra clean look for the entire bike so I began minimizing where I could. The battery and all of the electronics are housed in a box under the oil tank. I also made an entire new harness that is a basic chopper setup with no frills like signals or a horn to worry about. There is very little wiring exposed on the bike...just 1 main harness running up the backbone and a small one to the tail light and brake light switch. I had wanted to run flame throwers out of the exhaust but there is no good spot to hide the controller or coil and I don't want it hanging out in the open.

I also wanted the front bars to be completely clean which meant no switches or levers.....which has made my life very difficult so far. It means making a unique set of controls for the entire bike that may be a bit confusing when I'm done. I don't trust just a rear drum to stop the bike so I have to keep the front brake...but didn't want the master or lever on the bars.

I'm running a right side internal throttle and a left side internal clutch setup, however the internal clutch side is actually operating a very slick cable operated master cylinder....which is hidden between the backbone and gas tank in the tunnel. So a twist of the left grip will work the front brake. The rear brake is the normal right side foot operation. Now's the trick/cool looking part. I'll be using the left side foot control as a clutch as soon as I finish designing it....and I made an actual shifter that comes up from the motor next to the gas tank that'll be hand operated. It means taking your hand off the bars to shift but since it's so close I'm ok with it. Only issue I need to finish addressing on it is the weight....with the shift ball I got today it's so heavy it tries to pull to the downshift side. I'm going to devise some sort of centering spring for the lever.

The gas tank is an extended Harley peanut tank...very long and wide and modified to cover the hidden master cylinder. Bars are literally just straight pipe. Forward controls are from TC Brothers and will be adapted for the foot clutch.

Hoping to finish all of my fab by end of the year and start tearing it down for paint, plating, and powdercoat.....which is going to be pretty unique as well.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote