View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

Loud tick/tap after warmed up

Ok for those that haven't seen the build thread here it is just to get an idea of what was done

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61831

Otherwise its PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads
ls7 lifter
hardened 7.4" pushrods (measure 7.3875 @ .050" preload)
Comp cams trunion upgraded rockers
.675" Dual valve springs

Loud tick, car misfiring, NO CEL. Noise sounds as if it is on the driver side.

But started happening the week after the engine swap was finished. At first I thought maybe it was just an exhaust leak and ended up finding a crack in one of the collectors on the driver side head. Welded that up best I could and noise was gone at idle, started driving home and after it warmed up and had a load on it started tapping again. Same noise and no difference in volume

When I finally got off the highway it started stumbling a little. So I decided to recheck my valvetrain (torque on rockers, pushro length, collapsed lifter, springs)
Ended up finding a broken valve spring, one of the new ones that just went it. Thought that has to be it. Got the new spring installed and double checked pushrod length with the comp cams tool. With .050" preload I came up with a 7.3875 pushro so the 7.4 was good and put me at a preload of .063". Retorqued everything and started it up. Again noise is gone alowed it to idle to operating temp., no issues. Drove the car and 5 minutes into driving started tapping and missing again. (broken spring was on the passenger side 5th spring back)

Got to my buddies house and pulled the valve covers again thinking has to be another broken spring. Didn't find anything!!!! Cranked it with the vavle covers off watching the springs and valvetrain. Didn't see anything extraordinary. Put it back together. Noise was gone untill started driving again.

I don't have any check engine light. Vehicle does misfire when it does it but I can't monitor individual cylinders with my scanner to see where it is coming from, I tried pulling plug wires see if I can here the engine acoustics change but it doesn't go away and just arcs to the coil bracket.

I didn't see any other arcing going on or any signs or arcing

Think that covers everything I checked/did, may have forgotten something.....

Next step is gonna borrow NJ Mike's coils and get new wires and see if it goes away. With the heat and load it sound like a coil is failing, just wish I can see the arc if that is what the ticking is

I have a sound clip I have to try and upload.

Any suggestions, or experience with coils failing like this(if thats whats going) please chime in

Last edited by MyFirstZ; 08-31-2013 at 01:55 PM.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote