View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
V
Stalker

Notchback spoiler change

I have a 1988 Trans am GTA with which I'm building a '88 Notchback "tribute" car.

I have 2 oem notchback hatches. From the factory, the 719 cars built(624 in the US) came with the base model style firebird spoiler. In my opinion it is a very boring look for such a different looking car.

Factory look...

I searched the web and didn't really find any decent options as to good-looking spoiler options. The ones I did find, were scary to say the least.

Then I thought, what about the convertible spoilers. The 86-90 bird vert spoilers are cool but I don't think it would really fit the styling. Plus the center section is just a base spoiler with the sides hacked off and the third brake light is ridiculously huge.

Then I thought about the 91-92 convertible style...

I really like the 91-92 version because it levels out the back somewhat and hides the slant as you move towards the rear. And the taillight is proportional. I did a quick MsPaint chop as to what the notchback would look like with the 'vert spoiler setup. And yes, the 'vert side pieces would be cut back to about there the sail panel slopes down then back.
I'm going to have to actually place the spoiler on the car with the hatch and see how all the body lines really interact. But I definitely like the 'vert spoiler on it much more than the base flat wing.

I thought about the 86/87-92 Camaro style too. But those side pieces flare up right at the end and don't give it a flat look. Plus they pretty much go straight up on the side where the 91-92 bird style actually flares out on the side similar to the 85-90 aerowings. However the 87-92 camaro center section is the same for the 91-92 birds.

What does everyone else think? And yes, I know some don't like the hatch to begin with but that's not what I'm asking about here.

Last edited by V; 03-20-2016 at 11:15 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote