View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #513
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Adam, yes definitiely.
Sometime last year I was in my local welding supply shop (county welding in Wharton, NJ) and I asked them about how I could go about getting nitrous through them. They hemmed-and-hawed about how its not something that they have done before and they were unsure of the feasibility. I let that topic sit there at that point, but recently I called Praxair (in Dover, which is now changed names to Linde Welding Gas supply) and asked them also; kinda expected and got the same answer.
Bruce does sell the medical grade nitrous and I even asked him what I would do if he ever went empty long-term. He said its possible to do what townsend is doing, but we didnt get into too much details. Last week when I was hunting for nitrous I called a bunch of NJ speed shops and followed some leads, and one guy was giving me all these reasons why its going to be such a hassle for me(a hobby racer) to get my own mother bottle. Stuff related to the government CDC, regulations, and audits, etc. Sounded wild, but I think he was laying it on a little thick. Anyways, I think that this winter I might do more solid research and find out how I can go about following Townsend's footsteps, and plan on getting a mother bottle to keep here at my house. I'll always keep this car a nitrous car, and my late uncles 75 camaro is also a nitrous car, so I will want to have a relaible source for bottle fills long-term.
If I try to plan on going to the dragstrip to do more competitive bracket-racing events, I will probably run the car more all-motor since it can be more consistent. But for the "glory" timeslip runs, nitrous will be used.

Townsend, as you go through the process, if you want to PM me or write about it on here, feel free. It would be good info to learn. I do have my nitrous permit to posses/purchase nitrous with the state, and I have had it for probably 8 years now, so i am hoping that smooths the process along. They I assume it would be convincing one my local welding gas supply stores to help me acquire the bottle.

oh, and bummer, rained out today. Car packed up, fueled up, food packed, and ready to race...but rain all day means the track is closed. I am keeping it all setup and ready so that when next Sunday comes, I am good to go.

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote