Thread: Satin Paint
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
HardcoreZ28

My bike is a satin black as will be my 48 Ford whenever it's done.

There is a big difference between satin and flat black as well as a number of different ways to achieve the look.

Hot Rod Flatz, John Deere Blitz Black, and various different primers are a good looking flat black.

If you want a satin finish you can either use a standard black basecoat with PPG Flex'd N Flat clear over the top or go with another single stage product with a flattening agent mixed in. There are tons of different shades of the satin and flat blacks so find one you really like before shelling out the money and read up on the durability of them.

Also be cautious.....flat black is hard to keep clean and I believe both flat and satin will gloss up if you attempt to polish them. So basically how it sets out of the gun is how it's going to look. I've had a lot of luck keeping my satin black looking good by keeping a lot of wax on it. Any dirt wipes right off and it helps give it that satin sheen I like.

Like I said I've done a lot of research on the different options and looked at a lot of them in person as well. The PPG black base with Flex'd N Flat clear is great and durable. For my truck however I'm gonna go with a single stage paint because of all the lettering and so forth I plan for the doors. I don't want to have to wait that long to clear my basecoat. I'm planning to use Standox Opel Rallye Black. It has a great sheen to it especially when it's waxed.....but nowhere near glossy.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote