View Single Post
Old 12-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #425
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

* I only had an hour after work today to work in the garage, but I flipped the engine upside down, removed the oil pan, noticed the flappy oil pan gasket at the same spot you guys are seeing it (see better photos below) and then examined the oil pump before taking it off. It is the Melling M55Hv (high volume) oil pump. I've never inspected one before, so I am not really sure what to look for regarding a "stuck" check spring or check ball. No matter what, this pump is getting replaced.* Does anything look awry? Should there be some kind of cap/cover on that port where you can see the spring coiled inside the hole (photo below) ??* I took off the rear main-cap also and I looked at the blue rear main seal and it did seem intact, but I poked at it a little bit and probably disrupted it's sealing surface, so I will simply get a new 2-piece rear main seal. This is as far as I plan on taking the engine apart this calendar year It is healthy and the only issues were: high oil pressure and oil leak.* I'm in no need of upgrading hardcore parts, so this is more engine maintenance project.* I wiped a few things down real quick, but I have got some serious cleaning to do one of these upcoming days.*

As for additional winter upgrades my list includes:
-reinstall engine, transmission, converter, driveshaft, radiator, etc. (December)
- redo a bunch of engine bay wiring (December
- find a proper set of long tube headers (January)
- build a y-pipe and install it to a new magnaflow 4" exhaust setup (January-February)
- research and buy a set of 28" tall drag tires on a 15" wheel (April)
- rust repair under windshield channel and new windshield (April-May)

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote