View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #433
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Got stuff on the top of the engine taken care of and fired up the engine again. Took it around the neighborhood to get some heat in the engine so that I could check/adjust the timing. When I pulled back in the driveway, I was stunned to see oil dripping at the back of the engine. However, it was not from the rear main seal or oil pan gasket. It was also not from the head gasket area or valve covers. At first I thought it was the little pipe-plug at the back of the block by the distributor, but sadly it looks like the rear china wall has a leak at the intake manifold gasket. This is a new leak and for sure 100% was not there when I was using the car during the spring or summer. My buddy told me that sometimes (not always) the intake manifold gasket may develop a break in the sealing surfaces when using the carburetor style engine lift plate that I used, because the weight is hanging on the manifold bolts with the gasket in between. . This makes total sense, and I wish I had thought of this weeks ago. BUMMER! Looks like I will be ordering a replacement intake manifold gasket, and pulling apart the top end again.

I just do not want any leaks, and even though it is a minor oil leak, it is not going to get better on its own, so I am going to take care of it next. After setting the timing and topping off fluids, I took the car for a longer drive, and it was ripping, just blowing off the cold tires on the cold road! Good fun. Oh, and oil pressure is now right about 70psi according to the dashboard gauge, so I am super happy. Also, no idea what is with my trans temp gauge, its pegged at max, so possibly has a short or stuck needle, I'll need to get that fixed next time I am under the dashboard.

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote