Thread: Not this again.
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #2423
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

So as you guys know, finally bit the bullet and started to do the rear main.

Thursday night i pulled the starter, the driveshaft, and started to drain the trans out to make it a bit easier to handle. plus, time to change the fluid anyway. This is were the fun begins....

Let the tailshaft drain out into one of them oil change drip pan, after that stopped it slid back under the car and started to pull the pan bolts. Slid a large plastic tub under it to catch everything. Took out the final pan bolt and guided the pan down into the tub, getting late anyway so im gunna let it drain over night.

Fast forward to last night after sitting in traffic for 40 mins on my normal 7 min commute home bc people forget how to drive in the rain... trans fluid is EVERYWHERE. Coming out both sides of the car, coming out the back of the car, a damn mess. I toss some pig mats on the ground and flop myself under the car. Theres a minimal amount of fluid in the container... damn thing had a crack in the corner i didnt notice.

Cleanup took about 30 mins. A garbage bag worth of pig mats, 3 cans of brakeclean, and a roll of paper towels later, back under the car to get going.

o2 sensors and wideband out to prob, dip stick out no prob, on to the torque converter bolts.

YEAH. NOT GOOD. 2 of the 3 were like this. Finger tight. i honestly think the only thing that kept them in was they didnt have room to back out completely. One was tight as it should be.

Im not really sure what happened here. They bolts are ARP, and there is still some of ARP lube on the threads too. Kirk referenced the extension required to tighten them could have effected the torque. Im going to grab a new set just to be safe.

Moving past that, i started on the trans bolts. Removed the trans mount X member bolts, trans dropped about 1/4 inch... thanks solid mounts, this is gunna be fun.

Slid trans jack under, going to tackle this tomorrow. (today)
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote