View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #59
89 Trans Am WS6

There is a note on the bottom of the Vehicle inspection report that says reg can be revoked but I have never heard of it happening. I suppose it could, but again that memo has ALWAYS been there.

Justin- How big is the lift? Nothing has changed in regards to a PIF being able to inspect modified suspensions. Just keep in mind the super gray areas of MVC law. I believe over 4? inches of lift is the point you are required to go to a special state facility to do a tilt test in addition to the standard inspection. You don't see it to often but thee vehicles get two stickers, a standard one and a second for the tilt test. This is funny because technically ANYTHING that modifies a vehicle from factory is grounds for failure(according to the PIF manual, not reality) This includes suspension, engine parts, CARB extempt stuff, its all technically grounds for failure. With that being said, no bro whatever shop used to do your inspections should still be able to do them.

The only reason they may NOT be able to is if they opted to buy the new machine WITHOUT the gas bench. When we were given the original purchasing options we had 3 choices. The entry level machine was a OBD only machine. It allowed the facility to do vehicles MY 96 and up as long as it is under 8600lbs. This includes passenger car and light truck diesels. Over 8600lbs requires a tail pipe test and can not be done on that machine.

The second option was the base machine with the add on gas bench.This allows full coverage for all vehicles. Pre 96 tail pipe tests, OBD tests, and newer vehicles that are over 8600lbs gvw. This is what we opted for. Alot of shops did not and as a result we are doing all of their older car inspections now.

The last option which we did not do, and probably wont is the add on for diesel opacity. This is not for a F350, this is for BIG diesels. I forget the actual cutoff but I would say somewhere around 15000 lbs...our flatbed is 19500 and it gets this test. You may see some of your old private facilities doing these tests now, especially if they do alot of diesel work. This is because MVC combined the PIF and DEC licenses so you only need one now to do both. All you need is to buy the addons.

Hope it helps!

Joe
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote