View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath View Post
If you bypass the solenoid and put 12 volts directly to the starter and it starts, problem is with the solenoid. Either bad solenoid or small wire going to solenoid is not energizing.Chassis ground should not have nothing to do with starting the engine. The battery ground going to the block is all you need to have. Check that your ignition switch is grounded.
The ground problem could be between the block and the starter, that's why I didn't say chassis ground, it's unlikely, but it could be between the starter and the solenoid

I've recently read that you should also put a ground wire to the alternator case (or have a ground lug put inside, I forget which) to eliminate electrical gremlins

I recently had a problem in my suburban. The GPS DD module would stop working for no reason and when DD replaced it under warranty the replacement did the same thing. All the dash components have the same ground. Sometimes I would come out in the morning and the dash screens would be on the default screen instead of where I left it. Turned out to be the ground connection on the battery. Had no problems starting it or anything else wrong. Chasing ground issues can be a bitch

Last edited by PolarBear; 06-22-2017 at 12:01 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote