View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Stock shifter required minimal effort but the throws are just too long IMO. I swapped the stock shifter to a Hurst+ and then later added a Lou's short stick. The Hurst provided shorter throws with added feel. I do not have any experience with a Pro 5.0 or B&M in a fbody. I have played with a B&M, Hurst and MGW in a C5 though but it won't be the same. All shifters, except stock, seemed "stiff" in the C5 application so I guess this may carry over into the other 4th gen offerings.

I was reading a lot about the recently introduced Hinson shifter. I was hesitant to buy it without being able to mess with it beforehand but there seemed to be a good buzz about it. During the holidays they ran a sale which extended to Amazon. I got it for a heavy discount (holiday price + discover 5% cashback, free prime shipping, no tax).

I dropped the shifter into the car this week and initial impressions are very positive. The shift effort is very light with a very direct, short throw and positive feel. I honestly can't see how you can miss the 2-3 with this thing (I may find a way ). The shift lever is vertical so placement of the shift knob is a touch over to the right side of the car. They made a version with the shift handle moved about an inch towards the driver but I am going to give this a try as is. It was designed this way so it makes sense to play with it before trying something different. If I decide to move it over, the Lou's short stick should bolt right on and angle the shift knob towards me. Alternatively I could just add a spacer to the existing stalk. Either may mess with the intended geometry and function of the unit so again, I am going to drive it as is for a bit.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote