View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Just a quick recap of the event for anybody interested. Also a link to my album of photos I took over the weekend.. about 400 photos.

Drove the car from Nj to Carlisle with only a fuel stop and Lunch stop. Car ran/drove great; flawless actually, and my wife drove my pickup truck. Got to Carlisle, and on the last 20 mins of the drive, it rained. Registered at the main building and then parked in building Y in a spot that they had assigned to each car in the 10 car display building. Spent about 1.5 hours wiping down the car and tha was that. Came back for a few hours on Friday since the weathr forecast looked miserable for Saturday. Glad I did this, as I was able to see a lot of the show and get good photos, while talking to a bunch of people. (we stayed with family Thursday and Friday night). Saturday the weather was downright awful.... but I was VERY suprised at how many cars were still out there on the lawn of the showfield. I guess because you have to be present on Saturday to get any type of judges award on SUnday. Sunday, I was kinda bummed out because even though th weather was good, a LOT of people left or weren't there. I had planned on seeing a lot of the YENKO cars in the special building, but all except 2 cars were gone by mid morning. bummer. Also, I had wanted to see the first camaro ever made, the 1967 VIN#00001 car, but that was also gone.

There was a great array of cars for sale in the CarCorall area, and a buncha cool and unique cars in building T also. A trans Am once owned by Burt Reynolds, some cool barn finds, a KITT car, etc.

Of course the IROC display was a huge favorite of mine, and it was a really impressive collection of low mileage/pristine condition cars. Mine and the other bright red car were the only ones modified, the other 8 cars were stock. A few even still wore the ORIGINAL goodyear gatorback tires too. Met with all of the other IROC owners there and everybody was real nice, fun, and cool. Also equally impressive was how many 3rd gens were out in the showfield... I'm estimating there were probably 45ish total 3rd gen camaros at this event. A few people I've previously met in person (A.J) and some cars I've definitely seen on thirdgen.org too.

-Another cool thing at the event was that jerry Palmer, the lead designer for the 3rd generation camaro cars was at the event. he gave a great 1 hour seminar each day which I went to Saturday. I learned a lot at the seminar, as he discussed the initial design appearance ideas, showed dozens of hand sketches of the body prototypes, clay model photos, etc. He also went into discussions about why certain things were chosen or not chosen from the concept sketches. About MID way through my photo album are a few photos I took of the protoype sketches .. from the GM archives that h borowed for this seminar. He was also signing memorabilia and stuff. He was a very personable guy and instead of just signing a car and walking away, he would walk around it, asking dozens of questions about the car, its history, any work/changes, and other things. Way cool. I had him sign the underside of my fiberglass hood.

Bummer about the weather Saturday and then early pack-up of cars on Sunday...but regardless I had a GREAT time at the event. My car drove like a champ the whole ride out there and the whole ride home; perfection... so that was also a big big accomplishment.

****This should be the MAIN link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123927...57655296065981

and just a few quick photos:

x128 by David Martin, on Flickr

x137 by David Martin, on Flickr

RED WHITE AND BLUE

DSCN3872 by David Martin, on Flickr

DSCN3960 by David Martin, on Flickr

a REAL actual Camaro station wagon concept that was built and thankfully NEVER produced
DSCN4069 by David Martin, on Flickr
---check out the other concept/prototype sketches and models that happened... photos of them are on the main FLickr link above

DSCN4135 by David Martin, on Flickr

DSCN4147 by David Martin, on Flickr

DSCN4160 by David Martin, on Flickr

DSCN4161 by David Martin, on Flickr

Last edited by IROCZman15; 07-02-2015 at 11:39 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote