View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #120
87irocNJ

3rd gen and happy

I graduated HS in 88 and I remember some rich kid at our school had an 87 iroc and I loved it. The sound, the look. It was a great car. Two years ago I came by an 87 iroc convertible with a manual trans and under 60k miles and I got it for a good price. I've put decent money in to beefing up the suspension and I have a great weekend fun car for under $10k. I don't know if it'll go up in value, but if I had bought a new 5th gen, the car would have depreciated more than the entire cost of my 3rd gen already and I get far more looks and compliments than a 5th gen owner ever would. Go up in value? Maybe, maybe not, but all the depreciation is definitely out of the car and it isn't going down in value. But it's all about taking the kids out on a warm spring day, taking the top down and letting the engine roar as we cruise around town. To me that's priceless and the relative difference between doing it in an 87 iroc or a 69 isn't worth 4 times the money. I never liked the 4th gens and I'm not all about my 1/4 mile time. Just a style preference and a recollection of one of the only new cars worth owning when I was just getting in to cars.
87irocNJ is offline   Reply With Quote