View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #192
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I had an exciting night at the track. After getting the car all setup at home, i drove it to the track and got there a little early. Got through tech and set everythign up while chatting with a few friends I knew that were also racing and some that came to spectate. The goal for hte night was not to get too involved with reaction time numbers, but to see if I could finally get into the 11 second zone.

First Pass: 11.855 at 115.57 mph !
The tune i was using was a "safe" "street" tune I had used to drive to the track. WOT timing was 34 deg and target afr was 12.5. 60 deg temp and DA was 780. Front tires stayed at 36 psi all night and the rears I had at 19psi for the first 3 passes. launched at 920 rpm(idle), shifted at 6,048 rpm, and 6,401 rpm while crossing the traps at 5,840 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSVy3a7me0

I was thrilled! you can hear it in the video. I was hoping my next passes were going to be better, but oddly, this was my best pass of the night??!?!

Pass 2:
Now knowing that the brand spankin-new holley hyperspark system was indeed working properly under WOT, I put in a diferent ignition curve. Much more basic. Just a sweep from 20 deg at idle to 36 deg at 3,000 rpms. Set target AFR to 12.6 . Launched at 916 rpm, shifted at 6,500 and 6,500 (rev limiter) and crossed the traps at 5,811 rpm. I had somehow forgotten to not connect/setup my damn shift-light when doing hte ignition install and FORGOT this until mid way into pass #2 ! I had been in the throttle waiting for the shift light to come on, and it never did (twice) so I was slapping the 6,500 rpm limiter. whoooooops ! best 60 foot of the night though at a 1.64 ! checked the brand-new plugs afterwards and everythign looked good. The DA was 505 and the temp was 57 deg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzSsKrr7g7M

Pass 3:
decided I would try using the same tables in my tune and now know that I can't wait for the shift light because its not hooked up. Tried to launch a little higher rpm at 1,200 and it still flashed hte converter at exactly the same usual 2,800 rpm zone. Watched the needle onthe dash for when to shift and I was not quite used to doing this, so I again, over revved it. Shifted at 6,500 limiter, and 6,500 limiter again. Through the traps at 5,857rpm. DA was 413 and temp was 56 deg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agaTXZNH4MM

Pass 4:
Same exact tune file as pass 3 and pass 2. Timing at 36 deg and target WOT afr at 12.6 DA was now 342 and temp was 55 deg. I dropped the rear tire pressure from 19 to 18 psi and also made the rear shocks a little bit softer. tried launching from a higher rpm, but with no vacuum, my brake booster can't hold the car in place more than 1700 rpm. The guy in an IROC next to me jumped the light before the tree came down and when this happened, I was justtt starting to creep forward, so I just left. Launched at 1,700, shifted at 6,400 and 6,134 and through the traps at 5,771. converter flashed higher, but first gear took longer it seemed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_3R-W8ywY

Pass 5:
Had become confused and frusterated but unwilling to give up at improving on my first pass. Bumped the timing to 37 deg at wot and the target afr to 12.7. the DA was now 107 and the temp 53 deg. kept rear shocks loose and kept tire pressure at 18. I tried one more attempt at leaving from a higher rpm, and left at 1,700. For the first time ever, I felt a little bit of tire slip off the launch. Maybe liek 1/3 the rotation of tire. you can see the hood shake at the moment of tire slip if you watch the video. Also, the converter took a bit longer to flash and instead of its usual 2800 rpms, it flashed at 3,400 rpm. Shifted at 6,122 and 6,198 rpms and crossed the line at 5,800 rpms. the timeslip printer at the booth jammed and they had to hand-write slips for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf1EE2EqN9s

Pass 6: Decided that perhaps my timing tables and "tuning skill" was not going well tonight, so I switched back to the tune I used for pass 1. I did change it a tiny bit, but not much.. timing was still at 34 deg like in pass 1 but I leaned out the target afr to 12.6 and smoothed out the VE table. The DA was now 67 and the temp 52 deg ! I was really hoping for another 11.8x pass. Launched from a 956 idle, and it spun just a touch again like in pass 5. Did not like that.. was not expecting that. I shifted at 6,418 and 6,071 to cross the stripe at 5,827 rpms.
[/url]
no video on this run. I must have double tapped the record button. my mistake.

So, overall, very happy to have gotten that "monkey off my back" and run into the 11 second zone. Would love to figure out scientifically why I couln't improve over hte course of the night with the weather getting better and me bumping up the timing advance as well as leaning out the target WOT. aside from my poor shifting, my mph should have been better with more timign and afr and DA. Any suggestions, let me have 'em.
I am glad that hte hyperspark ignition works great. The car does seem to pull from low rpms much better and my 60 foots show a pretty good improvement to justify my seat-of-the-pants thought process. Did not like the tire spin at launch on pass 5 and 6. Maybe I still had water in the tire grooves? maybe the track temp was getting low?maybe my 18 psi and softer shock setting was too far down?

anyways. good night overall. Loaded up the car and street drove it home at midnight.

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote