View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
kazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpontiac91 View Post
In regard to the Drag Classes at ATCO for yesterdays Pontiac Nationals, it was a poor choice of having ONLY two RACING classes set up. The Pro Pontiac Class was for cars 9.00 to 19.99. How many STREET cars even had a chance with professional drivers cutting double 0 lights and running slicks. My son Darren cut a very good light @ .014, but the RACE car he was up against in the first round cuts a .010 light. He lost by .025 and the tree was part of it. I contacted Tom from the GTO club, that put on the event , and he said he has asked for a Street Class with NO slicks, but ATCO has refused. He and I both did take a GOLD award in the show which was really cool.
IMO the tracks are forced to cut back on the number of classes due to the low number of entries. I remember that Atco had multiple classes for Pontiac Day back in 2003. It took 5 rounds to get into the final and the ET cut was 13.0. Back then there were enought cars to let the tracks run multiple classes give payouts in each and still make money.

The other issure I see is plain bracket racing experiece. The guy in the race car had more experience and a better tool than you son. At these events there are always going to be a number of good bracket racers looking for an "easy" payday. I don't see any way around that problem. For the record I have been running a 14 second pure street mustang ('07 GT auto) and I'm very competitive against a pro class field.

I hope you and your son don't get fed up with everything and never bracket race again. Moreover I really hope for just the opposet. Race as often as you can, gain expereince, and come back next year with the street car and kick a$$ in the pro eliminator class. Atco does offer a street bracket racing class as does Raceway Park.

'07 Ford Mustang GT Alloy Metallic
4.6 Auto, 3.73 gears, C&L CAI, Diablo 91 octane tune, drag radials, and a saftey loop. What else do I need for a 14 second bracket car?

Last edited by kazman; 11-08-2010 at 11:42 AM.
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote