View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #121
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Time for a quick update while everyone waits for their turkey dinner.

Parts are arriving and assembly has started. The engine has an appointment for the dyno on December 13th. The engine will be ran on the dyno with a carb intake for simplicity since our intent is to simply break in the engine (and seat the damn rings!). I have no idea what it will put down NA. After the dyno and a basic inspection to confirm all is well, I will be taking the engine home with me.

While I have been waiting, I had the McLeod twin disc rebuilt, input shaft replaced on trans along with a few other small odds and ends. The cylinder heads are complete and needed more work than originally anticipated. The new Manley Nextek springs needed to be setup for around 165-175lbs on the seat but after install as is, the intake pressure was way too high. The intake valve seats needed some machine work to even everything up. Tracking down a proper set of retainers/locks was a mini adventure. Only one set would work for the springs and valves but we got it. Whew.

Now for some pics. Karl has been an excellent communicator through this process. I tend to bug him often and he has always gotten back to me quickly whether he has an answer or not.

That Diamond sexiness - These are -29cc dished pistons, double diamond coating, gas ports, extra machine work after coating along with a few other things.

Ring filing. Going for 0.030 per Total Seal chart (these are conventional style rings)

Crower Link Bar Lifters

Block cleaned/prepped - Green on the bores is Total Seal quick seat.

Rebalanced crank back in her home - endplay around 0.008 which is within spec and where I was originally

New lifters required longer pushrods. Karl amazed me and himself by having the exact part I needed on his shelf. These are Comp Hi-Tech pushrods. Same brand/model I had before, just longer (7.2 vs 7.5)

New Callies 4340 forged 5.85 rods arrived!

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote