View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #18
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Yesterday I went to Atco Dragway for day 3 of the Hot Rod Power Tour. it was awesome. there is a thread about it. Additionally, a few weeks ago I reached out to the guy who I tracked down after learning that he bought my uncles car (above) and asked them if I could come down to see the car after being at Atco. They said I could, so I did.

I got there and Ross brought me to the long enclosed white trailer and opened the back. he pulled the cover off of the rear and the wheelie bars and rear wing appeared. I was elated and knew right away, that is the car! 10000% confirmed.

He took the cover off of it, but it was still strapped down in the trailer. I contorted my body in various ways to view inside, underside, and as much as I could. I took a few photos, but couldn't get good lighting or angles due to it being strapped in the trailer (photos will be added in the next few days).

The car has sat for "about 14 years" according to Ross. He retold the info he told me 2 years ago that he loved the car exactly the way that it was when he bought it in 1994. he brought it to a lot of car shows back then and built a massive multi colored chevy bowtie display for it for the indoor shows, Had young kids and after a while had to park it. Put it in the trailer and occasionally took it out to big events, sometimes trailering it, sometimes street driving it. Around 2005 (which is oddly the same time when my uncle passed away), the car was put in the trailer and sat in there ever since.

It is in FANTASTIC SHAPE. I was shocked that the paint didn't crack or lift over the years, tires were low but held air, etc. steering wheel had some mold, oh well. the car was a little dusty, the cover was dusty, but it damn well was in fantastic shape. a time-capsule for late 1980's pro-street cars.

The owner, Ross, only changed two things on the car. He changed the hand painted owners name on the display sign, and he converted the exhaust pipes from dual dumps before the axle, to be a rear side exit after axle exhuast. he mentioned that he and his wife had a problem with the exhaust fumes. while I don't like the shape and the angle of the pipes, I understand why he had to do it. it is super easy to fix if need be.

Some things I remember, and some thing I also learned. The dual custom built fuel tanks were awesome. one for race fuel and one for pump gas. 1 piece aluminum wheel tubs, dual batteries with a "hidden" on/off kill switch, 12 bolt, sprung wheelie bars, 4 link, etc. the front bumper was tucked in and I never realized that.

We did not take the pin-on hood off and we both agreed that the car would not run so there was no attempt to start it. he and I agreed that the carb and fuel system would have to be fully freshened up. brake system too. all fluids, etc.

I asked him what he planned on doing with the car and in a round about way he told me that he would love to find the time to get it back to being roadworthy. He told me that he has several other fun cars that also need parts and attention (66 nova, 68 camaro, chevelle, and a challenger hellcat). We discussed that I would of course love to buy the car, but I was not in any sort of rush and I was just happy to see it for now. No prices were discussed and we left everything at a pleasant understanding that if he or his wife do decide to part ways with the car, they promise to reach out to me. I was thrilled to hear this, as I am not in any financial spending situation to afford it, but hope to be able to do so one day.

photos will be posted on here in a few days

it was a damn good day

Last edited by IROCZman15; 09-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote