Thread: 1971 Firebird
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
usp55

1971 Firebird

Just figured I'd start a thread on the 71 Firebird i just picked up. Big thanks to Matt (mc73nova) for helping me get it to my place. I was really looking for a split bumper camaro but i couldn't pass up this running 71 firebird for $1500. From the numbers I was able to pull off the block it looks like the motor is from a 73 firebird and its a poncho 400. It has a 3 speed manual.

Today was my first day with the car and I was curious to see how the floor boards were so I gutted the interior except for the dash. I pulled two full bags of old carpet and glued down material that easily weighed over 50lbs. I happy to say that it doesn't look too bad. Only 2 actual holes on the passenger side (see pics below) and a soft spot just under the clutch. Everything else seems to be nice and solid for the most part.

I was able to think about what i wanted to do with this car and I think I decided to have this as a weekend worrier that is also street-able. I dont think ill ever own a truck let alone a trailer to move it so it has to be street legal/pass inspection, but i don't really want to fully restore to original condition seeing as its only a base model/non number even close to matching car. 2 seats, a steering wheel, and some gauges. No bling, prob stay matte black or semi gloss (always wanted a road worrier-esk older car and 4th gens just don't look good in flat black)

Only thing to decide is how to handle the rear frame rails - tub/back half it or just get the reproduction frame rails? Either way I'm months away from saving up to do anything major and will prob change my mind several times. I am prob going to try and sell the white interior that came with the car. It has some green over spray on it so im not sure if its even worth anything.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas, all welcome. I'd like to know what you'd do with this car.

Last edited by usp55; 12-30-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Updated info
usp55 is offline   Reply With Quote