View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

The definitive QQ/Collector's Registration thread

I am going for my QQ registration for the Nova and when I searched on here there was a lot of conflicting information.

Here is what it says on the DMV's web site.

Quote:
Collector vehicles
Effective September 1, 2007

To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle is:
A limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities
Less than 25 years old
Not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To be classified as a collector vehicle, your vehicle cannot be registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod." Download our fact sheet [23k pdf] for more information.

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:
Complete the collector vehicle application [41k pdf]
Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead
Show proof of limited-use insurance
Include photographs of front, driver side, passenger side and rear of the vehicle
Mail all materials and photos to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle Status
I/M Support Unit
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680

Applications can only be processed through the mail and will take approximately two weeks. Once you receive an approval letter from the MVC, take the original letter with raised seal, the original application, and $25 (check, money order, credit card or cash) to any MVC Agency to purchase a collector vehicle status voucher which will be issued immediately.

Call (609) 633-9474 or 9472 for additional information.
Quote:
Vehicles exempt from inspection
RELATED LINKSCollector Car application [pdf] Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.

The following vehicles are exempt from diesel emission inspection requirements:
Contractor equipment in transit
Farm vehicles
Vehicles operated by a county, municipality, fire district, or duly incorporated non-profit organization and used for first aid, emergency, ambulance, rescue or fire-fighting purposes

Historic vehicles
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
At least 25 years old
Specially registered and display QQ plates (1945 and earlier models are required to displayone plateon the rear of the vehicle. 1946 and newer models will be issued two plates and both plates must be displayed, 1 on the front and one on the back of the vehicle).

Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
Submit completed application to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, NJ 08666-0016

However there is no information on getting QQ tags. For those of you that have done it, please fill me in. I need the information myself and then I'm going to clean up this thread and make it a sticky in the resto section.

Firsthand knowledge only please! Don't say you know a guy who blah blah. That stuff is all over this and other forums. I just want to get as concrete a description as I can for easy future reference.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 01-13-2009 at 01:40 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote