View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
L695speed

Just want some thoughts on this....

But before I go any further, please, I KNOW rattle can jobs are not generally approved. Eventually I will get this thing painted right. But for now I would like to address that failed third gen paint job that is flaking off. Would like to at least get the car in one color again. I don't want to go the Maaco route, because that may just create more work in the long run.

I know a few people here have painted their cars with a roller, I also know some people rattle can the car. Right now I have everything from bare metal, to rust, to etch primer and original paint. Here is what I'm thinking.

Strip the original paint off everything using airplane paint stripper. Decals included. The plastic pieces I'll wait til someone has a better suggestion, but it sounds from talking with body guys that sandpaper is better there. Anyway, strip off everything with airplane stripper, take the rust down to metal as far as I can go. Hit the car with Rust Encapsulator, then primer, then maybe....(I don't know how far I will take it.) color. I will likely just stop at primer and use an all weather primer that can handle water. I would paint the car in my garage but my air compressor I believe is only 10 gallons, I don't think that is enough to do a decent job. Not to mention the fumes linger.

Should I go through the trouble? Or should I just hit the places that are bare metal, treat the rust, then leave it til I get the money to have the rot fixed and the body painted right?
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote