View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Custom radio install idea...

So, ive been thinking about doing a stereo upgrade in the V.

I could swap out the complete OEM radio and install a aftermarket stand alone setup. BUT there are a few reasons why thats not my primary option..

first off, the stock radio has Navigation...
second, The factory radio has all the personal preference controls accessed through it, like driver settings, etc, as well as all the vehicle info including outside temp, fuel economy, battery voltage etc.
third, The factory radio screen serves as an information display for seatbelt/headlamp warnings, when Traction control engages, as well as confirming setting of competative mod and Stabilitrack on and off.

The reason i DO wanna change the radio are the following...
Better radio quality, RCA outputs for an amp, USB and bluetooth capabilities. I would still be using the stock BOSE system for the interior speakers by using a specific interface for the car.
and the stock CD changer is having issues, often i cant change tracks becaus eit wont be able to find the song and i end up having to go to a different CD or back to the first track. Its a common issue with this radio.
And buying a used radio, in good condition is 500+ bucks...

With the custom setup im thinking of doing, I'd first remove the 6 disc CD changer section of the OEM radio. the width is the same as the the aftermarket radio. Once the CD changer part is removed then the climate controls would be lowered about 2" down the where the ashtray currently is. The ash tray front would now just become a filler panel since i dont use it anyway plus i have a 12v power port on the back side of the center console anyway.

The oem radio would still stay connected and functional but its speaker outputs would be connected to the AUX inputs of the new radio. That way, I would retain the NAV system and OnStar/XM(neither which i use currently though)

The following pics show a rough photoshop of my idea...
1st pic is how the stock setup is.
2nd pic is how the new custom install would look.
I know i could make it function, just a lil time consuming to do...

Opinions?

Last edited by V; 05-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote