View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
79T/A

One of my favorite topics!

I still have the same 200-odd piece Craftsman (Sears) mechanic's tool set I got back when I was 19 (The set's over twenty years old). I've broken sockets since then and have had zero issues exchanging them for new ones. In fact, just swapped a few this past weekend. This is the core of my tool collection and probably of the highest quality.

I have continued to try and buy Craftsman as often as possible as the hand tools are guaranteed, and I seldom have to cash in that guarantee. I've learned that while Harbor Freight is awesome for reduced prices on stuff like the tool box above, I usually only buy disposable items from them, such as gloves, sanding discs, cutoff wheels and stepped drill bits. When it comes to tools, you get what you pay for. Same goes for Tractor Supply and similar outlets. I had the same Craftsman angle grinder for many years before it finally died from aggressive use (Three years into my fascination with metal fab). It died in the middle of a project, so I bought one on the cheap at TSC (A store I LOVE for grade 8 hardware and welding supplies...but that's another story) and then ordered another from Harbor Freight figuring that if one was good, two was more gooder (One for cutting, one for grinding). Luckily I wear welding gloves when I work with metal, because the TSC grinder lasted about six months and then literally burst into flames in my hands (You had to see me playing hot potato with it as I ran outside and threw it in a snow bank...PRICELESS!). The Harbor Freight job lasted a short while longer and then...poof. Done. Went back to Sears, bought two, and have had no problems since.

Mentioned above was at least three flashlights. Not a bad idea. In addition to the standard flashlight, I have a halogen spot light that is great for working under the car and a retractable drop light. Oh, and a headband mounted flashlight for when I have no one to hold a light or nowhere to hang one.

Another great idea: Magnet on a stick. I almost always drop a nut or bolt in a weird, unreachable spot in the engine compartment (Usually right after I say, "I'll be done in a few minutes, honey!" [Note: While working on a VEHICLE, NOT in the bedroom...that's at least ten minutes]) This little gadget has saved the neighbors an abundance of my profanity.

The other thing to consider is what you're going to be doing and how much you're going to do it. I bought a good set of brake tools after attempting my first drum brake maintenance and that has worked out well for me over the years and has gotten plenty of use. In other words, if you don't need it, don't buy, but if you're going to use it a lot, it might pay for itself the first few times you use it. I've learned the hard way that it's important to have the right tool for the job plenty of times.

Very timely post. While I was walking around Sears the other day with a bunch of broken sockets and a gift card in my pocket, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was nothing that I immediately NEEDED to spend it on. Took me over twenty years to get there...

Last edited by 79T/A; 01-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote