Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
Firebirdgm2000
Banned

Engine swapping where to go 4th gen

I'm trying to weigh my options, i'm still going to use my car for daily driving just simply put i'm looking into a 400-800hp range motor. Although it's a little tough trying to figure out which route I should take.... I could go with a straight up LS1 Bore it to a 405 which could be quite cost effective... Buy a LS2 (A little more pricy) and work it up or go for either an iron 455, 428 or 400 pontiac motor (since it's a pontiac). I'm hearing good stories about 400's they are still cheap and there are several stroker kits available for them..... If I go LS1-(2) i'm def. turbo'ing it (twin or single stage turbo kit)..fuel injected or carb'ed?.... opinions ideas would be greatly appreciated......

Last edited by Firebirdgm2000; 05-30-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Firebirdgm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

400-800 hp is a pretty damn big range.

Instead of asking for specific power numbers, you should decide what your goals are for how the car performs, and we can give you advice on how to get there....

Personally, a single turbo LS2 would be loads of fun, and pretty damn fast.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

are you going to swap on the hydrogen injection system to save you some gas on this carbed/turboed 455 your building
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Firebirdgm2000
Banned

yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by foff667
are you going to swap on the hydrogen injection system to save you some gas on this carbed/turboed 455 your building
Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

You're saying that the swap would be cheap, but you realize you need more than the engine / it won't simply drop in in place of your v6 right?

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
Firebirdgm2000
Banned

I've researched all the necessary components and operations behind the swap... Yes I understand the engine is not the only component needed for this. I will operate it utilizing the GM M6 tranny and thunder racing rack & pinion steering chromemoly. I have the complete setup for suspension V6/V8 interchangable springs excluding harness, radiator obvious components... I've done my homework and i've saved the cash got the tools need to get started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah
You're saying that the swap would be cheap, but you realize you need more than the engine / it won't simply drop in in place of your v6 right?

Last edited by Firebirdgm2000; 05-31-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 AM   #7
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

dont forget k-member, computer, driveshaft if you still have a 2 piece, you'll wanna work on your rear if you still have 3.08s or any pussy gears like that, bunch of other things... it gets pricey.

Kommandant

Quote:

Old 05-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Mike
BadMod

carb would require cutting the cowl and making custom glass..........have fun

your hydrogen toy would take you from 5mpg to 7mpg with that motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
enRo
13 Second Club

Ive never seen an LS2 in an 4th gen Fbody yet (If so, supply a link so I can see please) ... would be pretty neat, but the price that your talking to bore an LS1 or turbo an LS2, you mind as well just buy an LS7 and cam it.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

cammed ls7 would run about $18000 installed. People have been swapping in LS2's into fbodys for the last couple of years...i know mikey@rapid has done a bunch of those swaps as well as many of the other local/semilocal shops.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
Firebirdgm2000
Banned

I'm def interested in getting a 6L in there i'd like to see the setup.... To quote savage i've changed out my old 3.08's with an entire rear from Fparts came directly off a TA, also I have the aluminum driveshaft, crossmember i'm going to buy off ThunderRacing
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #12
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

If you plan on swapping in an LS1, you'd be better off just selling your car and buying a T/A or Formula. I pray you dont put an old school pontiac motor in there, that will be a nightmare trying to get everything to work and fit properly. If you're gonna drive it everyday, I say sell your car and get an LS1 car. they get decent gas mileage, plenty of power and you wouldnt have to butcher up a clean 6 banger car to do it.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:49 AM   #13
V
Stalker

let me just add... wiring harness, ecm, possibly bcm, and dash harness as well, maybe even a v8 gauge cluster too.

I agree with Ian, sell your car and just BUY an LS1 car.

just so you realize, even doing a basic stock LS1 swap, you are looking at a cost of at least $8k IF you do it ALL yourself, and 10+k if you have a shop do it. You can just buy a nice Z28 or T/A in that range and then youll have money back in your pocket from the sale of the firechicken. IMHO, dont waste the time, money, or effort on swapping a v8 in the car.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

its more liek 6k to 8k but still, same deal... the only real good reason to swap is from personal attachment to the car, or enough mods already that will remain to justify it.

Kommandant

Quote:

Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

just buy an LS1 TA...just think of all the money youll save on badges

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Kommandant

Quote:

Old 06-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
Firebirdgm2000
Banned

I've got a shop in south carolina who has done this swap before will do it for 6k all components included (*has done 8 tranformations before), motor / tranny, 6-speed convert, crossmember, radiator and all necessary components.... By the way you guys forget i've got v6 insurance, so I would be putting that extra 1.5k in my pocket every year instead of owning a base TA which I have completely dismissed a while ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
If you plan on swapping in an LS1, you'd be better off just selling your car and buying a T/A or Formula. I pray you dont put an old school pontiac motor in there, that will be a nightmare trying to get everything to work and fit properly. If you're gonna drive it everyday, I say sell your car and get an LS1 car. they get decent gas mileage, plenty of power and you wouldnt have to butcher up a clean 6 banger car to do it.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #18
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

too bad youve been spending that extra 1.5k on stuff that really isnt worth it/you already wouldve had if you bought a T/A

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:24 AM   #19
V
Stalker

6k for a full swap labor included...interesting. must be drivetrains straight out of the junkyard. Just a decent ls1/t56 combo is around 4k. and you said a thunder racing k member so thats a few hundred more(even though a stocker would be fine), then i assume youd put a new clutch, thats another 4-500. used rad? no, i would only put new, thats a couple hundred more.. then all the little stuff that adds up and basically that leaves not much for labor. i dunno, just doesnt seem that great of an option in SC...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #20
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

First off shoe horning an old school poncho motor in there would be VERY VERY interesting. I would hope you had all the tools to make that work since your going to need to make new inner fenders, shock towers, and possibly/most likely a new firewall. And if you plan on running 400+ horses and keep the 10 bolt trans am rear and you dont think your going to blow it, youre in for some fun times very soon! If you think you can daily drive a 600 horse car youre in for more fun times. I dont know how much experience you have doing things but swapping engine/trans/kmembers etc etc isnt like oil changes. If you have a shop that will do this and you have the money to pony up then go for it! Only things I can say is make sure the quality of the work you are having done, and also save money up for a real daily driver. I know when the snow hits I really dont want to drive my Camaro, I couldnt imagine it with twice the amount of power! Other than that HAVE FUN! it will finally be almost a real Trans Am!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #21
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdgm2000
I've got a shop in south carolina who has done this swap before will do it for 6k all components included (*has done 8 tranformations before), motor / tranny, 6-speed convert, crossmember, radiator and all necessary components.... By the way you guys forget i've got v6 insurance, so I would be putting that extra 1.5k in my pocket every year instead of owning a base TA which I have completely dismissed a while ago
thats really cheap for everything that has to get done. woodscrews and duct tape I guess just kidding...sort of.

As far as the V6 insurance with an LS1 swap...thats called insurance fraud. you better pray you never get into any accidents when its all said and done. I dont think your insurance company would pay to repair a V8 motor when you're only paying for a V6.

In any case, its your car not mine. do whatever you want with it. If it were me though, I would have sold it and saved up for a true LS1 car. different folks, different strokes...
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #22
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdgm2000

im with ya on that one!!

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #23
WayFast84

well i wouldnt swap a ls2 or a older pontiac motor if u want good gas milage. if your serious about this ls1 swap get rid of the gay ass ground effects while ur at it. I here you on the insurance and may be the initial reason of a ls1/t56 swap into a thirdgen when i get my liscence good luck!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #24
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84
well i wouldnt swap a ls2 or a older pontiac motor if u want good gas milage. if your serious about this ls1 swap get rid of the gay ass ground effects while ur at it. I here you on the insurance and may be the initial reason of a ls1/t56 swap into a thirdgen when i get my liscence good luck!
werd listen to this guy he knows his stuff
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #25
enRo
13 Second Club

Also, some Midas shops do swaps as well, depending on which swap... but your gonna most likely have to prep it first by doing all the mounts, harnesses n **** ...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning