Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Post looking at lt1 long tubes and slp loudmouth

Pacesetter long tubes with off-road y-pipe

i have a 95 lt1 camaro that is about 2 inches lower than stock. it is a single cat. i want to do the headers/y-pipe and SLP loudmouth 1 on my car. will this fit/clear? would i still retain my cat. conv.? the y pipe is a 3.000" outlet slip-fit. i don't care if i have to cut the cat off but i'd rather keep it emissions friendly with EGR and air fittings too. If i won't be able to keep the cat, might as well go balls out and rip off everything. do i need to get that SLP adapter tube as well if i keep/cut the cat?

i guess i really just need to know if the y pipe dumps in the stock location. thanks.

should i do the ceramic coating as well? i could get a few cans from NAPA and do it myself, i don't mind and i would save a good number of dollars. i'm just concerned with melting ignition wires. i plan on running the wires over the valve covers. not sure if this is the way to go either. any info. is appreciated
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
nj96z28

I was told by a very knowledgable source that if your daily driving.. meaning its a road car... dont do longtubes.Especially with a lower ride height.
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Soon to come... New paint , and glass .
nj96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

ok. it is a daily driver. he also has these mid-tube headers with y-pipe says they are for single cat and actually look like they would fit in the stock location. if i went this route i would just get the ceramic coating. any other info welcome
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Longtubes and 3" y-pipe will be pretty low and with a lowered car will make it even tougher on tall curbs and speed bumps. If you added dual cats to try and keep it legal, it would lower clearance even more. If you're not looking to race the car, then some form of mid-length header would probably be your best bet. I would recommend ASM(Arizone Speed Marine) 3/4 length headers first and then one of the other brand mid-lengths like those Pacesetters or MACs or SLP even. Here's a picture of my old 96 SS with the coated Pacesetter longtubes with dual cats added to the y-pipe. The passenger side cat is no big deal with plenty of room. The driver's side is tough because of the floor brace you can see sticking down so I added the cat farther back in the y-pipe. It was tucked up about as good as you can get, but with a lowered car it would be a bad idea. ps - the front of the car is up on ramps in the picture so don't try to judge the ground clearance.

96 Camaro SS longtubes and dual cats

-
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
IROCZBeast
13 Second Club

Social Networks:

When I use to drive my car daily back in high school I had pacesetter LT's non-emission, off road y-pipe and an slp loudmouth. My car wasn't lowered and I had the occasional scrape when I went over speed bumps and stuff so I could definately see it being a problem with a car that is lowered 2 inches. As the for the coating, its not that great. I bought the coated ones, the coating is fine in the engine bay but after the driving the car a couple months and through the winter the coating by the collectors all flaked off. Which isn't a big deal I guess because you really just want the coating in the engine bay anyway to reduce heat.

Oh and as for sound. Yea its loud , but I loved every second of it lol. Heres two videos, just to give you an idea.

Dyno Day Last Year.

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with bolt-ons Dynoing at TTP on NJFBOA Dyno Day makes 330 RWHP 343 RWTQ
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 -SOLD-

Last edited by Tru2Chevy; 02-09-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Street Racing
IROCZBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

My car is lowered a good 2" in the front, and about 1.5" in the rear giving it a good stance. My car is not daily driven, and the only time I've had it scrape was going over massive speed bumps, or steep inclines.

I am very careful when I drive with an eye out on the road ahead of me to avoid any obstacles.

I have un-coated Pacesetter LTs, 3" Off Road Y-pipe, and a 3" magnaflow with a cut-out and I absolutely love the sound it gives me. Its very mellow through the muffler, and when I open my cut-out I get that obnoxiously loud sound that makes every bone in your body vibrate.

Heres an idea of my ground clearance:

(you can barely fit a sideways soda can underneath)

View Video on FQuick

Last edited by ar0ck; 02-09-2008 at 07:01 PM.
ar0ck is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning