Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

new exhaust on the iroc

just got around to installing the new set of Dyno Don's headers, with new gaskets, arp header bolts, a magnaflow cat, etc. worked out good, a few kinks, removed the A.I.R. system cuz it was ghey, and cleaned up a lot of wires .. was a good project.. replaced my edelbrock TES headers which were leaking like crazy too

my younger cousin james helped me, hes in 2 photos, he was a big help, we got the job done!

first are the old cruddy headers, then the installation of the new ones, along with the air system removal, then some photos of the Dyno Don's headers and y pipe

the car is road ready now!

Last edited by IROCZman15; 04-16-2009 at 10:14 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
IROCZman15

oh and the 2nd to last photo is of my brother, lance Cpl. D. martin as he was heading off to philly for his weekend of trainign with the U.S.M.C., hes got a 87 GTA TA (for sale $2300) and a 97 TA.. he should be at the april meet with me

Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
BigAls87Z28

Looks like my Heddmans, only better...i like where the y pipe meets the header. Damn it....
Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
crainholio

I hope you have better luck w/ that Bosch O2 sensor than I've had in the past, the ECM didn't seem to like it. Slightly lazy throttle response, sooty tail pipe and back bumper, seemed to run rich all the time. I swapped it out for a new Delco sensor and no further problems. Throttle was nice 'n snappy, no more exhaust soot.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

nice man it looks really good!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Fast92RS
Power Member

Dyno Don does make a great set of headers. I have them on my Camaro. Does your y-pipe fit close to the body? I have to get some heat sheilding because the y-pipe on mine is really close and gets the passenger side floor board hot.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
IROCZman15

the y pipe was not that close to the underside of my body, i noticed this wehen i installed it, luckily a buddy of mine who welded the cat on, cut a few sections on the y pipe, and got it to tuck upt here nicely, but i dont need heat shields.. did u really put heat shields on? it for that hot? i havent noticed any issues yet

yea, i need to play with the car for a bit, but i havent seen any sluggish response or soot from the exhaust/car. if i do, i appreciate your input about the bosch sensor, ... hopfully it does not happen, but im glad i know for the future

thx for the compliments too guys. im glad to have this project done

Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

why not jet hot the y?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Fast92RS
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87IROCmadman View Post
the y pipe was not that close to the underside of my body, i noticed this wehen i installed it, luckily a buddy of mine who welded the cat on, cut a few sections on the y pipe, and got it to tuck upt here nicely, but i dont need heat shields.. did u really put heat shields on? it for that hot? i havent noticed any issues yet

yea, i need to play with the car for a bit, but i havent seen any sluggish response or soot from the exhaust/car. if i do, i appreciate your input about the bosch sensor, ... hopfully it does not happen, but im glad i know for the future

thx for the compliments too guys. im glad to have this project done
I dont have any carpet in the car right now but the floor gets hot enough that it would probably melt the bottom of the carpet.

I wanted my y-pipe ceramic coated when I bought it from Dyno don but he would only coat the headers, he does not coat the y. I dont know if that would help that much anyway.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

my pacesetters retain ALOT of heat coated. i can grab the exhaust after sitting for a half hour i bet. just an idea.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
IROCZman15

also, even though it may not look the nicest.. you could use "header wrap" on the y pipe, the kind that you soak and wrap around the pipe, i'v heard it keeps heat way down on the outside, and that you can touch it without scalding your hand while the car is running.. -just what ive heard- but its hard to keep clean, because it's a type of fabric... i might look into it,but it would look strange ona y pipe

Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Fast92RS
Power Member

I don't need to do the all of the Y-pipe just a short section thats in front of the cat. The section of the floor that does not have any heat sheild for the cat. I found some heat sheilding that I can tuck up above the y-pipe and I am going to put some heat barrier on the floor board under the carpet.

Last edited by Fast92RS; 04-22-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Fast92RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
BigAls87Z28

Yeah, I heard that Bosch tunes/builds them with the car running leaner then factory.
Could give you a drop in throttle response, but mostly its to increase your fuel economy. They even make claims that it will give you up to 20% better fuel economy over OE.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech