Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
ZCarr

Brake and Fuel Lines

My brake line running from the front to back rotted out as did the two lines on the axle. Does anyone know if you can buy these any where? Also I noticed that the fuel lines looked pretty rough and wanted to know if I can buy them anywhere.
ZCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Stevoone

Most lines you will need to bend and flare yourself. Make sure you use union type fittings to repair brake lines and not compression fittings.

Where are the fuel lines rusty? If it is within 12" or so of a fitting you can get repair kits. If not you may have to bend and flare on those also. If you car is newer you may be able to get a new line from GM. I got one a few weeks ago for a 1998 Grand prix.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Fast92RS
Power Member

A few companies make prebent lines. Some offer new lines in stainless steal. Try inline tube and there are a few others just can't remember there names.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
ZCarr

The car is a 94Z. The line for the left rear brake was leaking. The line going from the front of the car to the rear was leaking in like five different places. While I was under the car I noticed how bad the fuel lines looked and decided that they should be replaced as well.
ZCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I replaced all the hard lines on my 2001 Silverado with pre-bent stainless lines from ClassicTube. The stainless is harder than normal steel and I had some problems with getting all the lines to seat and seal up properly. Eventually they did, but it was annoying while they were still slightly leaking. I've heard of this happening with stainless lines from quite a few people.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
I replaced all the hard lines on my 2001 Silverado with pre-bent stainless lines from ClassicTube. The stainless is harder than normal steel and I had some problems with getting all the lines to seat and seal up properly. Eventually they did, but it was annoying while they were still slightly leaking. I've heard of this happening with stainless lines from quite a few people.
I had this issue with my Nova.

Now apparently the hot stuff is the copper nickel tubing. Very strong, anti-corrosive, and much easier to bend and form.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech