Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
The Fixer

So, Who's Driven a 5th Gen??

I know we have a few members now with 5th-gen Camaros - how do you like them? Has anyone else stopped by a dealer to test-drive one? I haven't yet, but plan on it soon - was just looking for some local feedback on the 5th-gen.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
LS1Hawk

Have not driven one yet. But there's an orange SS on Konner Chevy's lot in West Caldwell. Been thinking of going in there on my lunch break at work and test driving it.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Saitin
Banned

I've test driven 2 of them a 2ss and a 2lt and I have to say they where both very impressive..
Saitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
V
Stalker

im considering an LS model if i can sell my dodge ram, and i can get one for msrp(ill flaunt my current military status if need be).
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
88Z-Man

I have driven 2. One at carlyle the other at the dealer. Both were 2LT V6. The cars drove great. I was sold on getting one till I found out they are drive by wire. Thats a deal breaker for me. To much electronics on todays cars. I want to tell the car what to do I dont want the car telling me what it wants to do. I will stick to my 3rd gen and am looking at getting another 3rd or 2nd gen.
88Z-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Z-Man View Post
I have driven 2. One at carlyle the other at the dealer. Both were 2LT V6. The cars drove great. I was sold on getting one till I found out they are drive by wire. Thats a deal breaker for me. To much electronics on todays cars. I want to tell the car what to do I dont want the car telling me what it wants to do. I will stick to my 3rd gen and am looking at getting another 3rd or 2nd gen.
Really? That's why? Just seems like an odd reason. All new cars are drive by wire. Hell some BMWs and Infinity don't even have throttle bodies.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
88Z-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Really? That's why? Just seems like an odd reason. All new cars are drive by wire. Hell some BMWs and Infinity don't even have throttle bodies.
I know all cars have them now. I don't like it. If I knew at the time I bought my truck that it had it I would not have gotten it. The reason I don't like it is because every car I have driven including the ones I have with drive by wire the throttle response sucks. It feels like turbo lag to me. you floor the car and it hesitates before they start moving.
88Z-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Iroc-z86

moms malibu is drive by wire, imo it has better throttle response and control than any other car i have driven. the first time i used the cruise i got freaked out because the gas petal came back to the rest position unlike the old school way.

2011 Camaro - 2lt/rs red jewel tincoat, m6 - SOLD

2014 Camaro SS - bolt ons

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

OK, so has anyone really driven a new Camaro yet?

People at work keep asking me what they're like and since I have never even sat in one, I can't actually comment. So has anybody driven one and was it the V6 or an SS? What are your impressions about the way it rides/drives/corners/stops? I'm not concerned about the interior or how it's designed but really just the driving aspect.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Iroc-z86

my neighbor has one (jerk lol) and he says there is no road noise, it rides like a caddy considering the huge wheel and tire package they have. He also said when you hit the gas it really feels like 420 horse. He also said that the camaro rides and drives better than his 04 z06.

This is also coming from a guy who has a 55 nomad he is restoring and a numbers matching 69 rs/ss he is restoring. so he knows his stuff.

but i have yet to ride in one

2011 Camaro - 2lt/rs red jewel tincoat, m6 - SOLD

2014 Camaro SS - bolt ons

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Whiplash Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Z-Man View Post
I know all cars have them now. I don't like it. If I knew at the time I bought my truck that it had it I would not have gotten it. The reason I don't like it is because every car I have driven including the ones I have with drive by wire the throttle response sucks. It feels like turbo lag to me. you floor the car and it hesitates before they start moving.
What you are feeling is torque management nothing to do with drive by wire. I had an 04 GTO which was cable driven and my 06 gto which is drive by wire they both had that hesitation you are talking about.

On my 06 I eliminated torque management and no more hesitation I have cut a 1.61 60' on the stock suspension and drag radials and it leaves when I went it to.
www.intensewhiplash.com
Whiplash Performance is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge