Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
stoney2677

Cell phone techies come in

Heres the deal. I'm looking for a one click root for gingerbread. I've seen a few diff methods but not sure I want to try. I've only used unrevoked for my evo but that is not an option for gingerbread. We use the tether for our iPads (wifi only). My partners phone was replaced and his new evo has 2.3.3. Anyone?
stoney2677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Lunarpancake

I think you may be a bit confused about what rooting does.

Firstly your root method depends on your phone model not the version of Android you are running. Gingerbread is your Android OS version not your phone model.

Secondly rooting android devices is very different from jailbreaking iOS devices (iPhone iPad..etc). Rooting the android hardware gives you administrator access to the device. Since the Admin name on Linux is "root" and Android is based off of linux it is referred to as "rooting" your device. Rooting your device will let you do anything, from updating the distrobution of Linux that your Android OS is booting from to installing custom Operating Systems (ROMs). Now that you know what rooting is you need to understanding what "Jailbreaking" is. Jailbreaking is the underprivileged cousin of rooting. Jailbreaking basically gives you access to your iOS device that Android gives you standard. By Jailbreaking you can install non-Apple Store apps, and enable some features that your carrier may not want you to use such as wifi tethering. Jailbreaking will also allow you to "unlock" your device. This lets you use your device on similar carriers. The carrier must support the same cell structure that your device is capable of using......for instance AT&T phones use GSM and therefore can be used on T-Mobile networks once they are unlocked.
Lunarpancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Lunarpancake

Considering what you are already able to do with the Android OS I have to question your need to root the phone. What do you or your partner plan to do to the phone?

If you only want to install non-app store apps you can do this already by setting a quick toggle in the settings menu.

If you still wish to root...read this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1228566

Last edited by Lunarpancake; 03-19-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Lunarpancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
stoney2677

I tether my iPad with my rooted evo. My partner cannot because unrevoked does not work with gingerbread. I can't root his phone for him like I did mine. I know there are diff methods for diff phones but the version of android does have something to do with it also. Everything I've read says so also. All I see is developers working on a root for 2.3 and above. I was just checking to see if anyone knew if they'd come up with anything yet.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
stoney2677

I looked at the link you have there. Ive been looking at revolutionary but it's not a one click. I don't want to **** up the phone so I'm looking for the easiest way. I keep hearing a one click will be here soon but it's been months.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Which evo?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
stoney2677

Its a 4G. I'd have to look at his phone because I don't know the exact android version or anything else off hand. If you have some ideas and need some info let me know.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I don't personally know of any one click methods for the evo (my DX is rooted with Z4 root), but a good friend of mine has a rooted Evo 4G and I'll ask him about it when he comes in to work later tonight.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
stoney2677

Appreciate it. I believe it's a 2.3.3 version which is causing all the problems. My evo is a year old at least and running 2.2 so it was no problem. Ask him if there's a way to downgrade the software as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
BigAls87Z28

Justin, jackin this ****in post for my own means.

What do I have to do to root the X?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge