Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 06-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
redbanditZ28

Need help with brakes for tire and wheel size.

So as i've said in my other recent posts, i am souping my car up. So i am gong to need some good brakes. But I have a few questions. I am new to the brake and tire thing as far as upgrades for what i am planning to do. I mean its going to be a street car that goes to inspection every 2 years. So i want it street friendly and legal. Currently, I have 18X8.5 in chrome wheels all the way around and BF G force Drag Radials in the rear and kdws in the front. Now when i fix my car up with lots of hp to be driving in the street, at which point do i need to slicks or drag radials or what ever tire i need to use? Also, With my current setup, i am assuming i should invest in 15 in light weight wheels for better performance right? I mean, having 600+ hp while driving on the street, i am guessing its not safe to use the drag radials and kdws that i currently have for that right?
redbanditZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

600HP + Slicks on the street?!?!? oh boy...i think you need to look into this more in depth before you shell out the bucks and have all kinds of power. Sounds like this could end up really bad. Just my opinion.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Well, you already run drag radials, however with 600hp, I doubt you'll get much traction with the 18s. A 15" or 16" drag wheel/tire combo would be much better for you.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
redbanditZ28

I figured as much. Should i just go back to my stock 16 in aluminum wheels with some drag radials on them? Would that be my best bet? I mean i am barely going to drive the car like a race car. Just more for the bragging rights and mostly driven to shows. Maybe the occassional race on a highway. But i wouldn't be driving around town with a 600 hp car. I would turn the boost down most of the time to a realistic level around town. Its kind of like having the strength, but not flexing your muscles to prove you have the strength.
redbanditZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Well, you could go with a drag wheel from Weld if you want to go for the muscle look - 15" Weld Prostars would be nice and light, and will stand up to limited street driving ok. Just watch out for potholes

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech