Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Fasterthanyou

Sand blasting, I have a lot of stuff

Well I've got everything ready for getting painted but need some help getting the parts prepped. I have a HUGE pile of things that need to be blasted.
Anybody have a blaster or a hand blaster I could borrow for a weekend (not this weekend)? I'll pay you with new blast media.
The other option is to get my own sandblasting setup. I've looked into it before and have used both a booth and gravity feed before. I've got a huge compressor and a small portable, so it's basically what do I need/want. I'd like a booth and can get them for around $150 on ebay with all that I'd need. But I want to use the blaster on my engine bay... so the gravity feed is looking more promising... aahhh the options, they're driving me nutz.
Gravity feed would be a lot cheaper and since I don't plan on doing much blasting in the future it might be the best option. Anybody with an opinion or a blaster?
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I know that Phil has one (he brought it over to blast Ty's valve covers), but he just left this morning for the votech national competion - Go Phil!)

He'll be back in 5 days, he might let you borrow it.....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
HardcoreZ28

Jon if you've got a compressor that'll pump enough air you can borrow my gravity blaster if it's for a few days. You just need to buy sand. Let me know.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
jims69camaro

don't the equipment rental places have blasters? i think the 'johnson rents' place by me has one. couldn't be all that much to rent it for a coupla days. the only problem with that is that it's "used" equipment, and very used at that. just a thought in case you can't nail anything else down.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #5
Fasterthanyou

I've got a portable compressor and am thinking about just purchasing the gravity feed blaster. They're only $30 shipped from ebay and other various online stores. I don't mind having to refill, I just want something I can start blasing with .
Paul, where do I get the media locally? I'm not going to pay the shipping on some 50lb bag of blast media, lol... that would be super stupid.
Also, what kind of prep work does the powder coating need? Bare metal? If so, I don't know when you'll be free to do some powder coating so should I leave those parts for last? I'll get you a picture tonight, I was busy trying to get my headers unbolted from the y-pipe last nite... bolts were so rusty they don't fit anything in my tool box. I need a 15/32 wrench and socket or a 13.5mm!!! Along came the air chisel and hack saw .
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
HardcoreZ28

If you're going to use sand then you can get it from the place in Bridgewater next to Costco and Pep Boys....down a side street. I think it's called Bridgewater Stone Center now. A bag of sand is like $15....make sure they give you double zero sand or it'll clog.

I need bare metal to powdercoat. Do it last if you can. If not keep the parts in your house and they should last a while hopefully without rusting.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
camaroracer1992
10 Second Club

i have a gravity fed crafstman ill sell to you. $20 hehe its cheaper then ebay!!!
camaroracer1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge