Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
V
Stalker

buying motor parts soon.. hows this sound...

well, i'm getting ready to buy the parts soon... and just trying to firm up some plans.
Any advice or info would be appreciated. i'll do a quick rundown of parts i have in mind so far, others i need more specific info on...

Block... New GM iron 6.0L bored .030" over
Crank...Lunati 4.125" stroker crank for LSx series engines (Std journals)
Rods... 6.125"(come with lunati rotating assembly)
Pistons.. these would also come with the rotating assembly so i have a choice of cc sizes, however theyd be something to give me a final displacement of around 422ci.
Heads..Not a dahm clue yet(~$2000 budget though) need a final CR of 8.5:1
rockers...? whats good 1.7 or 1.8 ratio?
Oil pump... ported ls6 pump?
Cam...need one thatll work with a supercharger...recommendations?
Intake...F.A.S.T LS1 manifold matched with 90MM TB
Headers... LT's with Hi-flow cats and true dual setup
Induction...ATI procharger 1DSC at about 8-10psi
Ignition... (8)MSD coil packs and wires
Tuning... um...bill, wanna give it a shot? lol

i think thats most of it.. if i missed anythign just let me know. if someone heard bad news about parts i listed, also let me know. The car will have extensive suspension mods and a roll cage, plus ford 9" rear, and a larger fuel pump.

Last edited by V; 01-24-2006 at 08:13 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
well, i'm getting ready to buy the parts soon... and just trying to firm up some plans.
Any advice or info would be appreciated. i'll do a quick rundown of parts i have in mind so far, others i need more specific info on...

Block... New GM iron 6.0L bored .030" over
Crank...Lunati 4.125" stroker crank for LSx series engines (Std journals)
Rods... 6.125"(come with lunati rotating assembly)
Pistons.. these would also come with the rotating assembly so i have a choice of cc sizes, however theyd be something to give me a final displacement of around 422ci.
Heads..Not a dahm clue yet(~$2000 budget though) need a final CR of 8.5:1
rockers...? whats good 1.7 or 1.8 ratio?
Oil pump... ported ls6 pump?
Cam...need one thatll work with a supercharger...recommendations?
Intake...F.A.S.T LS1 manifold matched with 90MM TB
Headers... LT's with Hi-flow cats and true dual setup
Induction...ATI procharger 1DSC at about 8-10psi
Ignition... (8)MSD coil packs and wires
Tuning... um...bill, wanna give it a shot? lol

i think thats most of it.. if i missed anythign just let me know. if someone heard bad news about parts i listed, also let me know. The car will have extensive suspension mods and a roll cage, plus ford 9" rear, and a larger fuel pump.
Bring it!!!
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

take a look at the new dart heads...they are like $800 starting price...prc is doing porting on them and getting like 340cfm out of them with just 2.02 intake valves i believe but . Great bang for the buck head(not a ported stocker) its a new head similar to afr's, just cheaper.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

http://www.dartheads.com/ls1.aspx
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

you shoudl call TTP and see wht they may have in package form or see if they will hook you up on price going through them. get all your parts and advice from one reputable company that is pretty local to you.
the combo sounds good, but they are likely to know a thing or two that will help make more power/save you cash/make it last longer.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

also don't bother putting the maf back on...if your planning the 90/90 combo theres no point on putting a 75mm tb in front of it...we could do a 2 bar speed density tune fairly easily.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
you shoudl call TTP and see wht they may have in package form or see if they will hook you up on price going through them. get all your parts and advice from one reputable company that is pretty local to you.
the combo sounds good, but they are likely to know a thing or two that will help make more power/save you cash/make it last longer.
I think he wanted to build the motor himself for his own knowledge sake...knowing you can do something always feels good.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

what kind of rods come with the rotating assembly? Brand? H beam or I beam? what kind of rod bolts?

Ever think about jesel shaft mounted rockers?

Are you still gonna run your T-56 behind this thing?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by foff667
I think he wanted to build the motor himself for his own knowledge sake...knowing you can do something always feels good.
i figured that it would be a good idea to have people who regularly build LSx's to refer to with his questions. they also carry a large list of parts and would prolly hook him up with a good price for everything he needs as well as being able to go back and ask any questions and get advice during the parts picking and assembly process.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #10
V
Stalker

ill have to check to see exactly what rods come with it.
ill consider any rockers, whatever seems to be the best
yes ill still be running the T56 as long as possible, lol, probably not that long.

I do plan on assembling the motor myself, i am not scared of doing that and it also saves me a decent amount of money over a complete long block/shortblock

if TTP can order all the parts id go through them

yeha i heard about the dart heads, should i have any concerns about running a blown iron block with aluminum heads or willt hat be fine. also with the heads, i was first worried about getting enough flow, but the more people i talked to, they said with the supercharger its not as important since theyll flow no matter what. lol
Old 01-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
yeha i heard about the dart heads, should i have any concerns about running a blown iron block with aluminum heads or willt hat be fine. also with the heads, i was first worried about getting enough flow, but the more people i talked to, they said with the supercharger its not as important since theyll flow no matter what. lol
Im pretty sure all the late model lsx heads are going to be aluminum, but no you shouldnt have any problems. You'll still want heads that will flow well and your partially right in that its not nearly as big of a deal with FI. Tim could explain the velocity vs. cfm thing alot better then I could im sure...but i know in NA applications you want the smallest port with highest cfm...having a large port and high cfm usually gives you far less performance in an NA application though.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #12
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
i figured that it would be a good idea to have people who regularly build LSx's to refer to with his questions. they also carry a large list of parts and would prolly hook him up with a good price for everything he needs as well as being able to go back and ask any questions and get advice during the parts picking and assembly process.
very true
Old 01-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #13
V
Stalker

Anyone got camshaft info/recommendations/brands?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

try calling comp or crane or isky or any of the big manufacturers and ask them what they think is best for your engine combo and your goal.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
try calling comp or crane or isky or any of the big manufacturers and ask them what they think is best for your engine combo and your goal.
werd...once you start talking boosted its best to get the cam manufacturer involved in the process usually.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning