Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 08-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
blackbird

Valley pan question

Got a pontiac 400 i'm putting back together after some work and im not really sure what to do with this hole in the valley pan. I'm prettty sure a line runs off it and goes in to the carburator but im not sure how to hook it up right. I'd appreciate some help if any one can help me. thanks.

blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

do your valve covers have breathers in them? you have have other breathers that hole isn't really needed and can be plugged.
stock there would have been a flared hard line stuck through a grommet in that hole, leading up to one of the big vacuum ports on the front of the carb. it is jsut for crank case evac.
a lot of people switch to breathers on the valve covers because having a feed like that puts a lot of oil vapor crub into the carb and the engine.

good luck with it

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
V
Stalker

i know this doesnt directly pretain to your engine, but theres a similar thing on ls1/ls6 engines. the ls1s use a pcv system that sucks air from each valve cover, this in turn was burning a decent amount of oil and fillign the intake with oil. one change that the ls6 got was a pcv system that only drew from the intake cover. This helped a bit with oil consumption supposedly. HOWEVER the LSx intake valley is a LOT different from previous v8s and is almost a "dry" valley, and doesnt get much oil thrown around in it like yours would. In your case, like tim said, if you have breathers in say one valve cover and a pcv valve in the other goign to the carb, youll be fine with plugging that hole on the valley cover.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
blackbird

all right that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the response.
blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning