Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
V
Stalker

RAM HD clutch install question...

ok im finally getting around to installing my Ram HD clutch and I came across one problem. When i tried to bolt the pressure plate up, i see the flywheel(stock resurfaced..had only 10k and was in good shape) has the 2 locating dowel pins, BUT the pressure plate doesnt have hole to line up with these pins. i checked on LS1tech and a few people posted that they just removed the pins and it was fine... i dont know how comfortable i feel with that... i dotn see why ram just didnt drill 2 holes in the first place, and i also will not drill holes myself. I am leanign towards returnign this clutch and gettign something else. possibly the LS7 setup, but then i'm looking at almost 600 bucks.... i hate my car....
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
ok im finally getting around to installing my Ram HD clutch and I came across one problem. When i tried to bolt the pressure plate up, i see the flywheel(stock resurfaced..had only 10k and was in good shape) has the 2 locating dowel pins, BUT the pressure plate doesnt have hole to line up with these pins. i checked on LS1tech and a few people posted that they just removed the pins and it was fine... i dont know how comfortable i feel with that... i dotn see why ram just didnt drill 2 holes in the first place, and i also will not drill holes myself. I am leanign towards returnign this clutch and gettign something else. possibly the LS7 setup, but then i'm looking at almost 600 bucks.... i hate my car....
THAT IS THE WAY ALL PERFORMANCE CLUTCHES COME ( NO PIN HOLES ) REASON IS THE PLATE WILL FIT DIFFERENT CARS WITH DIFFERENT BRANDS OF CARS -- AND NO WAY TO FIX ON A CENTER -- TO MANY THINGS CAN GO WRONG -- BUT THE BOLT HOLES SERVE AS A REAL GOOD CENTER YOU COULD GET NUTS AND TAKE A DIAL GAGUE WITH THE FLYWHEEL OFF AND CENTER IT DRILL AND PIN WE HAVE DONE THAT BUT NEVR SEEN ANY DIFFERENCE IN DOING IT -- JZ
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

paul- i cannot shed any useful light for you, but i can recommend a good clutch. the textrilia seems to own the ls1 clutch market right now. i learned something after running the spec 3, you get what you pay for. sure you can get a spec or a ram for half the price, but your gonna eventually have to replace it. we're both running pretty big cam setups and we both drive our cars pretty damn hard. i think its worth to reassurance to step it up to a great clutch. didnt you a break two different 10 bolts when you were stock?

Last edited by qwikz28; 11-02-2006 at 09:59 PM.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
V
Stalker

i hear ya... i dunno what to do really...i'm gonna look at textrilla prices and see about returning my Ram, since i only took it out of the box today...

..as for running with the stock clutch(which i broke that at 10k miles only).. i only broke the rear really once. when it broke 2 months later that was related to poor workmanship in the first repair. but then i did break the stock torque arm after that... but previously at 10k i had upgraded to a spec stage 3, which got me close to 50k miles... but it was trashed when it came out... but i never ran slicks and only had 3 track passes with the car...

Last edited by V; 11-02-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
V
Stalker

well, i checked BYUNSPEED, and they sell the textrilla setup for $979. At first i was like "thats alot for a dahm clutch" but i was like what the hell, i need it. THEN i actually read it and saw it comes with an 18lb Billet steel flywheel. I didnt realize that was included at first. so that makes me much more comfortable with dishing out that kinda cash. Then upon further reading... i see it comes with all new ARP bolts, and its balanced before hand... so now its a no brainer for me. I wanna drive my car, not just at the track, and all the reveiws seem to prove this is the best all around setup. It will see the track but maybe twice a month IF that...

now, anyone wanna buy my RAM HD? lol
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
NightRydaSS

I went onto SLP's website and bought their clutch, flywheel and pressure plate package. It is a OEM style C5 Z06 clutch and pressure plate with a Billet steel (-8lbs) flywheel. But like i said before i guesstamate that i only have about 360 HP at the flywheel. I dont know if you have more then i do or not. But i'm having it installed next weds so i can let you know how that works out. But if you broke you TQ arm im guessing ur have a lot more power then i do and you'll prob shred this clutch in like 2K mikes. $900 isnt bad for a performance clutch, as i have seen them well over $1,100. good luck
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
V
Stalker

yea, i looked at everything in terms of clutches, from centerforce, spec, RAM, textrilla, slp, zo6, ls7,... Mcloed was too much at first IMO, but now became a close competitor to the textrilla.
Since my car is an '01, i had the zo6/ls6 clutch disc and pressure plate to begin with and that only lasted 10k miles(just a catback and a lid) The funny thing is, I did NOT burn that clutch up, it FAILED. I actually managed to spin the splines IN the clutch disc itself. Therefore the disc would spin, but the input shaft to the trans wouldnt move. Thats what made me get the SPEC 3 back in '02. That lasted till last august but it had its issues. and when it came out, the flywheel(provided by SPEC) was trash and the spings in the disc were almost all broken. After that i said to myself, no more spec. I chose RAM hoping it was gonna work out for me, but now i changed my mind, lol.

When i broke my TQ arm i was on the street leaving a traffic light and did a hard 1-2 shift... and BAM! that was the end of it... And then i only had Maybe 350 flywheel hp. With my new motor setup i should have in the area of at least 450 flyhweel hp,

I put the RAM HD clutch up for sale in the classifieds section, and im seeing how much itll cost me to ship it back and pay restocking fees if i just return it, cause then i cans till sell the flywheel and get some money back there...

Last edited by V; 11-03-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
qwikz28

Social Networks:

i did alot of clutch research and textrillia always seems to be the winner. supposedly, byunspeed who happens to be textrillias biggest seller in the US, is yet to have to send one back on a warranty claim. that says something. if you know how much business that guy does you would be amazed too.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
V
Stalker

The Textralia clutch has been ordered, and i figured what the hell, also picked up a new gm slave cylinder and a set of UMI 3 point subrame connectors, and jake, dont worry, i told him you refered me, lol.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
The Textralia clutch has been ordered, and i figured what the hell, also picked up a new gm slave cylinder and a set of UMI 3 point subrame connectors, and jake, dont worry, i told him you refered me, lol.
remind me to tell you why next time i see you. did he end up giving you the sale price?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
and a set of UMI 3 point subrame connectors
sweet, drop them off whenever....

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah View Post
Quote:
and a set of UMI 3 point subrame connectors
sweet, drop them off whenever....
no...mine!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #13
Batman
11 Second Club

Good plan on the slave, I replaced my clutch (when I had one) and left the slave because it only had 11K on it, next day it blew up
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline