Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
LS1Hawk

Car bras

What's everyone's verdict? I'm thinking of getting one for my Cobalt, because I do a lot of highway driving and already have a few chips in the front. But do they put too much pulling stress on the front end? I heard sometimes they can cause the bumper to come loose, etc.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Untamed

That depends on how loose it is. When the wind buffets the bra, it can cavitate something fierce, which is what pulls pins loose that hold the front bumper cover. As long as its relatively tight against the bumper, you should be ok.

I'll leave the aesthetic part of car bras out.

You will also want to pull it off from time to time to ensure nothing gets trapped between the bra and the paint. Stuff trapped inside can rub and scratch / remove paint. It doesn't happen often so this is not a weekly, or even monthly thing. Car bras can protect your car from the bugs and small objects that fly off other cars and trucks, so its worth it if you really do a lot of long distance driving. Highway driving to and from work may not require it.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
88Z-Man

I have been using bra's on cars since 86. Never had a problem. You just have to make sure you install it right the first time you put it on so its always tight against the car. I like to remove them after it rains. If you don't and let it dry on the car you can get mold and mildew on the paint and the inside of the bra if its left on for a while. Plus you want to take it off once in a while to get any debris that collects around the edges, and to let the paint breath, leaving it on to long can cause the paint to fade. A lot of dust or leaves or those little brown things that come off the trees can scratch the paint. But it will deffinatly protect the nose of the car from things kicked up by other cars and trucks. And all the new ones now are made so you can open the hood without removing the bra. My old one I got in 88 is a one piece that you can't open the hood with it on without taking the whole thing off. But it was worth the investment, they are not that expensive compared to having to fix paint chips and so forth.

Last edited by 88Z-Man; 07-27-2007 at 11:37 AM.
88Z-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
maroman88
12 Second Club

gett that clear bra they use on new cars.... im sure someone knows more about it
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
camaro2you

Ya those clear bras are nice but be prepared to pay $$$$$$$$ for it.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Z-Man View Post
and to let the paint breath, leaving it on to long can cause the paint to fade.
Usually paint works the other way, keeping it covered keeps it darker than the rest of the paint
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Syzygy

i hate them so much, whats the use in protecting what will never be seen? ive never had a problem with mine uncovered. that and they look so terrible when on, and make the car look terrible when they are taken off.
84 Diesel S10 (stock) - Rare 2.2l diesel isuzu powered with a flatbed.
92 S10 longbed - Lowered 3", Undergoing restoration and 20,000gvw diesel/driveline swap.
01 Astro LS - Fully loaded work van.
70 GTO - Powered by Cadillac 500
85 Chris Craft Scorpion - Water toy.
Syzygy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance